I just got a new receiver!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi,
    I don't know if any of you guys remember the trouble that I had with a sherwood receiver or not. I tried returning it to circuit city but they would not let me so I had it put in for repiar(I was haveing trouble with the volume control). Anyway they said it would be fixed within 5 to 10 days. Well it has be 12 days and I had not heard from them yet so I gave them a call. I asked about my receiver and they said that they were just going to give me a new one! I could not belive it, after I had asked them if there was any way for them to take it back they just said I could pick out a new one! since i'm going to use my receiver for 70% music and 30% HT I wanted something that has a warm sound. I looked at the onkyo TX-DS494 but it sounded just a bit tinny. Then I heard the H/K AVR-120 and all I can say is WOW. It has all the features I want and it sounds great! so I got the AVR-120 but when I was in the checkout they said I get a pair of free bookshelf speakers. There nothing special just Sony's, 5 1/4" woofer and 3/4" dome tweeter and a front port. When I had the sherwood I was useing no surround speakers so this was great news. I got them hooked up and they work perfect. I'm so happy with the receiver, it sounds incredible. The H/K was going for $400 but since I got my sherwood for $150 and since I bought a warranty they took $180 of the H/K. I'm a happy camper now[​IMG][​IMG]. I just got back from CC about an hour ago so I still have alot of testing to do. But form my first impressions this is a great receiver.
    Ryan

2. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Hey, congratulations Ryan! Nice to hear of a consumer coming out ahead for a change when dealing with one of the big mega chains...

Hope you continue to have good luck with your new system.

3. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I've been testing out this receiver with a bunch of music. i'm really impressed with the performance. It really makes my Titans Sing. I would highly recomend this receiver to anyone who listens mainly to music. It has a nice warm sound. I still have not fully tested out DPLII or any of the other surround sound formats since I dont have center speaker. Now I just need to get a DVD player worth beans and I will be set.

Ryan

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Ryan -- here's one bean that you can use towards your new DVD player. *hands Ryan a bean*. [​IMG]

5. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

If you do a search for "positive consumer experiences at Circuit City" I think the only thing you will get is this thread. [​IMG]
    Nice to hear it all worked out!

6. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

Ryan - does the avr-120 have component video in? I can't seem to find out from the web site. Thanks

7. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Ryan, congratulations with your CC experience! I'm impressed that the extended warranty worked out so well for you. I have also just joined the Harman club (see my thread on the AVR 320 for some very long-winded impressions) and have been very happy so far.

Scott, the 120 does not have component video in. The 320 and 520 have them. You usually won't find component video switching at this price point, although the next generation of Pioneers, Yamahas and Sherwoods that are expected out this summer/fall might.

8. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of that rare CC positive experience.... I had one last year. I bought a Sony portable MD recorder back when those things were $350. After about a year, it developed a problem, and I read online that it was due to a design flaw that many people were experiencing.
    So I took it back to CC ready for a fight, and they didn't even give me a chance to raise my voice. [​IMG] They took the MD recorder back and told me to go get another one out of stock. I went with an Aiwa model that was $75 cheaper, and they gave me the difference back in cash.
    Coulda knocked me over with a feather.
    I filled out a customer feedback card and praised the handling of my situation. Then I added, "Just don't try that DIVX thing again."

9. wally

wally Second Unit

My wife and I walked into CC several years ago with a $2000 gift certificate fully intending to “walk out” with a refrigerator and Bose “ice cube” system. Thanks to a great salesperson, who aggressively steered us away from the Bose system, we “walked out with a refrigerator and a Polk Audio 5.1 system. Mark this up as a positive CC experience.

10. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Eujin, I didn't think so, but I finally went to get hands on at CC. And actually it is on the web site you just have to into the pdf of the owners manual.

11. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

Wow! Who would have thought there would be so many people with positive CC experiences.
    I always thought that the name "Circuit City" was actually latin for "needless suffering."
    Now you could knock me over with a feather.
    [​IMG]