I just got a iRiver HP 120!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MikeH1, Jun 21, 2004.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Anybody else have one? I just put some tunes on it and man its sweet. So easy, just drag the songs into the folder. 20 gb Hard drive. I was apprehensive because my headphones, the Sennheiser HD 590's, are a quiet headphone and was afraid it wouldn't play very loud. But the volume goes loud enough for me.

And I found a review to, seems many seem to like it. Great little unit. After about 5 walkmans, 4 portable CD players, a mini disc player and now this, I think I have finally found my dream portable [​IMG]

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/iRiver_...-30571493.html

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Anybody else have one? I just put some tunes on it and man its sweet. So easy, just drag the songs into the folder. 20 gb Hard drive. I was apprehensive because my headphones, the Sennheiser HD 590's, are a quiet headphone and was afraid it wouldn't play very loud. But the volume goes loud enough for me.

And I found a review to, seems many seem to like it. Great little unit. After about 5 walkmans, 4 portable CD players, a mini disc player and now this, I think I have finally found my dream portable [​IMG]

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/iRiver_...-30571493.html

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

No, but I have a 40 Gb Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 and I love the thing. It's gotten to the point where I'll plug it in at home instead of hauling out a CD.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

No, but I have a 40 Gb Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 and I love the thing. It's gotten to the point where I'll plug it in at home instead of hauling out a CD.

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I just got the iHP-140, the 40GB version, and I agree that it is a sweet piece of hardware.

I almost went with a Creative Zen variant on the theme, but since that one requires software to be installed on the host computer it wasn't what I wanted. That's one of the best features of the iRiver, in my opinion - just hotplug it into an USB 2.0 slot and you have a fast external harddrive on your computer, just drop music or any other files into it.

I often use mine while riding my motorcycle longer stretches, so I paired it up with a pair of Shure e2c phones. The Shure's go into the ear and isolate against outside noises which is great both for just plain music listening at moderate volumes (no need to crank the volume up just to hear the music, which is bad for the ears) but they also isolate wind and road noise. Of course, have to be careful to watch what goes on around you since you won't hear as well on the bike...

I'm a rabid convert to isolating phones ever since I first got a pair of Sony's EX-70 in-ear phones. Absolutely fantastic when in a noisy setting (plane, train, ferry) when you want peace, quiet and good music.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

I just got the iHP-140, the 40GB version, and I agree that it is a sweet piece of hardware.

I almost went with a Creative Zen variant on the theme, but since that one requires software to be installed on the host computer it wasn't what I wanted. That's one of the best features of the iRiver, in my opinion - just hotplug it into an USB 2.0 slot and you have a fast external harddrive on your computer, just drop music or any other files into it.

I often use mine while riding my motorcycle longer stretches, so I paired it up with a pair of Shure e2c phones. The Shure's go into the ear and isolate against outside noises which is great both for just plain music listening at moderate volumes (no need to crank the volume up just to hear the music, which is bad for the ears) but they also isolate wind and road noise. Of course, have to be careful to watch what goes on around you since you won't hear as well on the bike...

I'm a rabid convert to isolating phones ever since I first got a pair of Sony's EX-70 in-ear phones. Absolutely fantastic when in a noisy setting (plane, train, ferry) when you want peace, quiet and good music.

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have never tried in ear phones, I think its worth a shot to give some a listen. The one thing I dislike about open air is all the outside noises (usually I listen when in a car or on a bus) and the engine noise can really kill the music. Any detail dissapears. Perhaps in ear is the way to go...

8. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have never tried in ear phones, I think its worth a shot to give some a listen. The one thing I dislike about open air is all the outside noises (usually I listen when in a car or on a bus) and the engine noise can really kill the music. Any detail dissapears. Perhaps in ear is the way to go...

9. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes Stunt Coordinator

I bought one for my wife for xmas. Pretty satisfied with it. One thing that is ticking me off is that iriver back in may said they were going to provide firmware downloads in May and June to give instant playlist(option that I want the most) and delete functions and a few other things to this player. Well, about a month ago after missing there first date, iriver posted that these updates were delayed and no times were given as to when we could expect them. We'll i'm kind of learning from the iriver forums that from other updates iriver has promised, it may be awhile for these upgrades. Very disapointed with this! But so far no real problems with it. Would probably get another if they had the instand playlist option.

Ken H

10. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes Stunt Coordinator

I bought one for my wife for xmas. Pretty satisfied with it. One thing that is ticking me off is that iriver back in may said they were going to provide firmware downloads in May and June to give instant playlist(option that I want the most) and delete functions and a few other things to this player. Well, about a month ago after missing there first date, iriver posted that these updates were delayed and no times were given as to when we could expect them. We'll i'm kind of learning from the iriver forums that from other updates iriver has promised, it may be awhile for these upgrades. Very disapointed with this! But so far no real problems with it. Would probably get another if they had the instand playlist option.

Ken H

11. Kimmo Jaskari

The Sony MDR-EX71 in-ear phones are a good way to try out the whole in-ear thing. Fairly affordable, decent sound quality (bit heavy on the bass, perhaps a touch sharp - at least, my EX70s were) and easy to insert and remove.

First reaction is almost always "ick, I have something in my ears!" but stick with it for a while and that will fade.

I still remember the first time I wore mine on a ferry ride. The boat was jammed, the only seat I could find was right outside the childrens playroom and there were kids running back and forth screaming at the top of their lungs. The only thing I heard was music. Bliss. [​IMG]

The Shure e2c:s are a big step up in both isolation and sound quality, but they are not cheap.

12. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I have had the iHP-140 for a couple of months now, it was my first experience in the portable market since I bought a Portable CD about 10yrs ago. I use it all the time and love it plenty of great features as well. I have similar headphones to your's Michael. They are loud enough for me around the house but I think i'll need something a little smaller and compact for flights etc.