I just finished my home theater website!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    WHEW! Never thought i'd make it, but 9 hours of typing, editing, cutting and pasting later here I am and would like to know what you think. [​IMG]

To the mods, at the end of my page I added a link to the HTF if that's alright, if not just let me know and i'll delete it no sweat. [​IMG]

Check it out, and please don't mind some of the pics being a tad blurred, most of them were taken with a standard 35mm camera rather than a digital one...

http://community.webtv.net/pixelman/TheMakeshiftTheater

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Looks great!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Would have loved to have seen at least one pic of the theater in action, though! (Ya' know: "Toy Story 2" or some such on the "big screen"!)

The Star Wars, Gandolf, and Bruce Campbell figurines that you have laying about the theater is a nice touch as well!

BTW, I used to own the Infocus X1, and it was a great projector; but my current pj, the Infocus 4805, is a nice little "step-up" from the X1 for not much money. It contains a native 16:9 DLP chip (vs. the X1's 4:3) with an improved 4X speed, 6-segment color wheel. The result is much better color saturation and contrast ratio, less RBE, and no "light spill" when viewing 16:9 video sources. The reason I mention it is that Infocus just announced a replacement for the 4805 at the recent CES show and you may soon be able to pick the projector up for not much more than double the replacement cost for a bulb for your X1. The case that it's housed in is very similar to your X1, as is the throw, so you could just mount it right on the shelf where your X1 is now! The 4805 also includes a true component input as well as a DVI input. (Of course, you probably already know all this, but I just thought I'd mention it!)

3. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Thanks, Joseph, glad that you liked it. [​IMG]

The thing is I don't own a digital camera and only had a limited amount of pics to work with, but my girlfriend has one and we're going to take some more when I see her this month, i'll get some shots of my speakers and a pic or two of the theater in action and then I will add them.

I've thought about the 4805 many times but just could never seem to squeeze it in to my budget to get it, but if it's dropped as dramatically as you've indicated than that isn't too bad at all, and I could definitely use that DVI interface on it because then I could upgrade to a new up-converting dvd player as well. [​IMG]

Mods,
    last night I tried to add the link to my site into my signature but it didn't work, is this ability disabled? I was sort of bummed because that was one of the reasons I created my page to begin with, so that I could have it perminantly available to view here in the forum. Are there any other alternative suggestions? Thanks.

4. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Nevermind, I figured it out when I went to my profile. :b

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

What, no loudspeaker & sub info/pictures ?!?

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

John:

Congratulations! It looks great! Isn't it wonderful when you can spend that much time on something and have it turn out well?! [​IMG]

Let us know what Anne Hathaway thinks when she sees it. [​IMG]

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

John, you mentioned that the dvd player (a Sony DVP-NS50P) is connected to the X1 via a VGA cable. But looking at the specs for this DVD player elsewhere, I can see that it only offers component outs-- not VGA. Seems odd.
    At one time, I had a VGA monitor connected to my HDTV box. Good image, but less than versatile, as very few video devices support VGA. I replaced it with a DVI widescreen monitor, and now have an Oppo to go with it.
    There is a 1080p DVD player that has a VGA out. A NeuNeo, or something Audioholics should have the goods. More a curiosity than anything else though, as it's pretty buggy.

8. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Garrett, patience, they're coming. [​IMG]

Thanks for the kind words, guy's, it does feel good to work that hard on something to have it turn out nice, I did the best that I could do with the limited page building tools that msntv offers anyway.

Jeremy,
    the dvd player offers only traditional componant outputs, your right, however the VGA cable that I bought has standard RGB jacks on one end and the pin interface on the other so that, in esscense, it accomplishes the same end result.