I Just Figured Out The Name Mr. Belding From Saved By The Bell !!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I'm sitting with my girlfriend, and we were reminiscing about Saved By The Bell...like the episodes the characters, and so forth. Then it occurred to us that Mr. Belding's name is significant...get it, BELL DING!!! We were going nuts. Guess I wasn't a critical thinker back then.

2. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

All those years of watching the show 4 times a day after school on WGN or whatever station that was and I never realized it either... [​IMG]

3. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

In Greek, the word belding means "to make a hypothesis"--as in "it occurred to us that Mr. Belding's name is significant."

Yeah, surre. We've come full circle.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Iunno bout you, but i think thats kinda stretching it dontcha think? [​IMG]
    Who remembers that dance slater always does? [​IMG] Me and my friends always laugh at that

5. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

My favorite SBTB moments are the ones where Zack calls "TIME OUT!", breaks the fourth wall, and speaks to us, the viewer, personally--as if we were there with him at Bayside, experiencing all of the hijinks along with him.

Long live Zack Morris and the gang.

-mwb-

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Zack Morris is a god.
    It's too bad the Saved by the Bell spin-offs are done with. I enjoyed The New Class, nowhere near as good as the original show, but I found it watchable. I just wish a station would rerun The New Class along with every other show to "rip off" Saved by the Bell in one way or another. That list includes:
    - California Dreams
    - Hang Time
    - USA High (even if it was more like Running the Halls and not Saved by the Bell)
    - Malibu, C.A.
    - City Guys
    - One World
    Any other shows I'm forgetting? [​IMG] And yes, I enjoyed each and every one of those shows on the list I just posted. [​IMG]

7. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

The best was slater playing the drums. My friends and I always imitate that one.

8. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Any one here remember "Swan's Crossing?" Please someone admit they do so I don't feel like a complete ass.

Chris

9. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    I religiously taped that show when I was in middle school. It only aired in my area at like 5 AM. I had the joneses for the redhead (Gloria?)... unfortunately I don't know what happened to her after doing the show. I'd bet that more than half of the cast is doing soaps now... except for Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Shane McDermott.

Doing a quick rundown on imdb indicates that Mira Sorvina starred in the show... I don't remember her character..

Matthew Furtek

10. AndrewD

AndrewD Stunt Coordinator

A week or so ago, Mr. Belding came to our company for a chat. Not exactly sure why. I work for Turner Entertainment and TBS' afternoon airings of 'SBtB' apparently had something to do with its success. That's the only reason I can think of.

Anyway, during the course of his talk, a couple of employees surprised him with some pages from a 'SBtB' script. The two employees and Mr. Belding ended up playing a pivotal scene from the episode where Slater's Dad tells him he has to go to West Point just like he did.

I never thought I'd ever get to see 'Saved by the Bell' performed live. Very powerful.

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Redhead? gloria? Hmm... i dont recollect ANYHTING like that... There was:

- Lisa
    - Kelley
    - Jessie
    - That biker chick, Tori
    - Stacey Carosi
    - That girl who didnt wanna dissect the frog

hmm.. ah memories...

12. GARY C

GARY C Second Unit

Matthew,
    The funny part about all those shows you listed is that the same guy is responsible for all of them. So they are not technically a 'rip-off'. [​IMG]
    Peter Engel was at the helm (Exec. Producer) for all of those shows.

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

AndrewD, that's pretty cool actually. [​IMG]
    /Mike

14. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I was at this place called the Coconut Club in LA and they had this throwback 70's band playing. It was really cool and guess what? They pulled Mr. Belding from off-stage and he started singing with them. I think he knew somebody in the band. Anyway it was pretty weird, I gotta admit. I wish I could remember the song, I think it was t"That's the way (uh-huh Uh-huh) I like it" with Mr. Belding doing the Uh-Huh parts.

15. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Belding sounds like a freak-daddy.

-mwb-

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

The connection between Belding and "Bell Ding" is what is often referred to in literature as a "tag name". Another show that had tag names was Wings. Consider Helen ("Hell in") Chapel, Roy Biggins ("big"), Joe Hackett (ordinary Joe and "hack"), and Lowell Mather ("low"). If you know the show, you should see how the names fit the characters.

17. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

I too, watch Saved By The Bell religiously. I love the episodes at the beach house. Great stuff. I also enjoyed the College Years a lot but I thought it was kinda weird. Ain't nothin better than re-runs of saved By The Bell. Anyway, where 's the season by season DVD sets for this show. I'd give my arm to own them.

18. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

19. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

20. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

As a youth I saw every episode. Donna and David of 90210 were also on as young actors. Hailey Mills was the original teacher, Miss Bliss; the original show title was Good Morning Miss Bliss. One of the first things I did when I went online was download an episode guide. I also loved the California Dreams.

jeremy