1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I Just Feel Like Writing...Thoughts About Movie Collecting PART 1

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dick, Oct 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Part One - Introduction

I've written about film collecting from time to time with differing emphases. This time, I just feel like recounting some specific and some more general memories about the films of my youth and my reactions to subsequent video releases. If this sounds like fun, please proceed...

I've been on this forum for a fairly amazing amount of time...where has it all gone? Re-reading some of my earliest posts makes me feel kind of ancient. Since those days, health issues have ensued, as they do for most of us eventually. What hasn't changed is my love of movies and collecting. The past two decades have disappointed me insofar as theatrical fare is concerned...I now have a distinct preference for classics (pre-80's) and for black and white above color. I do not have a favorite genre...I love sci-fi and musicals and comedies and westerns and animated films equally providing they are well-written, well-acted, and well-photographed. In other words, I am a movie aficionado, not a fan of certain kinds of films. Anyone looking at my eclectic collection would wonder why I have expended so much of my income to this "hobby."

But it's not merely a hobby. It's a love affair.

Over the years I have acquired a lot of what most of my friends would consider "useless information." I could do very well on Jeopardy if all the categories were film. I win certain editions of Trivial Pursuit because I'm much more up on film history than anyone who plays against me. But I cannot monetize this knowledge other than to write a book about something film-related, and I am still toying with that, except it seems every topic has already been written about multiple times..

But I cherish my movie-going memories, and will share some of them divided into more manageable chapters.

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I remember a time when I thought classics were pre-1950. Heavy sigh. :unsure:

I hope you will feel like writing again, soon.

3. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    Same for me. There have been peaks and valleys over the years but I'll have a Home Theater and collect content as long as I am able to.

On the one hand, you'll never know if there's an audience for what you have to offer unless you go ahead and put it out there. Even if there isn't, I suspect the experience itself would be sufficiently rewarding. I also suspect some folks here may have had similar concerns when they started HTF. :)

On the other hand, there's no mandate to monetize something you love. I'm no expert but I think it usually works the other way around. You do it simply because you LOVE it. For some, monetary rewards follow, but there are other [I would say more valuable] intangible rewards too.

I've enjoyed what you've written thus far and would definitely pay attention if more were made available.