I just can't win!! (Finally got my TV today... but will be sent back in a week or so)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy M, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Jeremy M

Jeremy M Agent

Delivery company finally delivered my TV to me today, about 12:30 CST or so. The lady who delivered it told me immediately that she wanted me to see it before she unloaded it and first off (said it wasn't her doing), the box looked like it had been through the war. There's rips, cuts, and holes in it. So we opened it and on the top of the left speaker grill, its dented and separated slightly from the frame. I should have listened to her when she said that if it was her TV, she would have refused delivery, sent it back with her, and had Crazy Eddie/Capitol Audio send me a new TV to replace this one.
    I should have done that (refused delivery and waited for a replacement), I know. But here was my thinking... I have waited 7 more days than I was supposed to for this TV so sending it back without trying it out first was a very unappealing idea, so I helped her bring it into the house. She had me write on the form that we had opened the box and seen the damage to the frame on the speaker grill. We both initialed and dated it, to verify it. She called her dispatch to make sure I could still try it out, but send it back if it wasn't to my satisfaction. The dispatch said it was ok if I kept all the shipping/packing materials and had documentation of the forseen damage.
    Once we got it inside and she was on her way with her copy of the shipping bill, we took it out of the box and that dent/damage to the speaker grill was only the beginning. Right next to the speaker grill, on the frame surrounding the picture tube, there is a nice crack running from one edge to the other. Not only is there that ugly crack right next to the screen, the f***ing screen itself had dislodged itself at the top of the frame! So the screen is leaning back from the frame a few degrees at the top half.
    You better believe I got on the horn to PilotAir Freight Shipping to tell them my "little problem". I told them about the speaker grill which I documented on the shipping bill (and of the copy I have and the delivery lady took back with her), and the further discovered damage on the frame and the screen coming away from the frame. The guy says and I quote, "So there's a whole lot of problems then." I was thinking "No sh*t Sherlock!". So he tells me that I will get a call in a weeks time from a claims adjuster to come out and look at the TV to determine damage and course of action and from there, PilotAir will go through Crazy Eddie to get me a replacement TV sent.
    I have this terrible feeling that the claim adjuster won't give me my due and say that since only the dent on the speaker grill is listed, that I could have done the damage to the frame and screen. I feel that way because even though all this damage was done to the TV in the shipping/handling of it, I still get a good picture on it (if you can ignore the fact of it leaning back from the top a little bit). I don't know about the sound because I am running the sound through RCA cables to my A/V receiver. I still have yet to try the HD content on D* demo channel and HBO-HD on it though. Plan on doing that a little later after my Cubbies get done whipping the Beer Makers.
    So just when I thought I could have this all over with. [​IMG] [​IMG]urious:
    And to think I paid $200 more on shipping than I was supposed to. And for what?! A f***ing damaged TV. Why do bad things always happen to me? What did I ever do to anyone?? Its a good TV that still seems to work ok, but its still damaged and I want a brand new one without so much as a big scratch anywhere on it. This the year 2001, we, as a whole society, have made sufficient advances in technology and shipping standards that something like this should never happen in today's world. Ever.
    *sigh*
    This just royally bites the big one. Good thing the TV actually works and appears to somewhat well, considering the amount of damage that had to have happened to it on its way to being packed, shipped, and handled on its way here. I don't know exactly what happened, but it had to have either tipped onto the TVs front side and hit hard or something crashed into it to do the damage that was done to this thing. It wasn't just gently nudged to crack the frame and dislodge the screen from the frame.
    So to make another long story short, I'm not happy after all this. Not one bit. I paid $200 more than I needed to for a service that caused me to receive a damaged TV.
    Crazy Eddie and/or Capitol Audio can blow me!!! How do they stay in business sh*tting on customers like this!?
    I need to go and try and cool off.....
    Jeremy M

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Oh, you poor guy! Look, if the carrier noted the speaker grill damage you should be ok. You did pay for a NEW TV, and that means without any flaws or damage whatsoever, so it will go back.
    If an adjuster gives you any shit, have him contact the driver to verify what it looked like.
    When the time comes, canceling the order would be the best thing to do, but you already knew that.
    Glenn

3. Jeremy M

Jeremy M Agent

Glenn, can you believe this?! Unbelievable! [​IMG]
    I feel like one of those people, we all know, that just can not get anything to go right for them, over this last week and a half. I finally get my TV, VERY late, and then its damaged.
    But while its damaged and I will send it back for a replacement, the upconverted picture is still beautiful on it while running DirecTV programming through my DTC100 to the TV. I ran the HD demo loop on it and I was stunned. The crisp, clear, and bright picture it displayed was awesome. The pixelation inherent in D* signal reception will always throw the PQ off a little, but overall... all I can say is Wow.
    As crazy as this may sound... even though I have to send it back for a damage-free TV set, I will be missing this PQ for a week and a half or two, when the time comes, waiting on the replacement to get here.
    Jeremy M

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm working on a HD system too. It's really kind of funny. I'll only order through companies that I can't find any complaints with, and I wanted to get an OTA set top box first, just to try it out to see if I could get the signals.
    Samsung has the only one out, and they have a $100 rebate, but it ends on the 31st. Guess what? The company I picked were shorted from Samsung on their last delivery - so they are out. I ordered this last Friday and just found out that it will be 7 - 14 days before they get more in. I sent a rather nasty fax to Samsung in NJ asking that they extend the rebate. What good is a rebate if you can't buy the merchandise?
    You're not alone!
    Glenn

5. Jeremy M

Jeremy M Agent

Good luck on getting an extension, Glenn! We all sure need some of that nowadays.
    When I finally get this mess cleared up, I am gonna start saving towards an expensive OTA antenna, amp/preamp, and installation. I won't have any local HD stations (anywhere within 60-80 miles) until the first of March next year, but I would like to get it done before it really gets cold and have to worry about snow, ice, and hypothermia-inducing cold weather. I want the most sensitive antenna so I can pull in as many stations, analog and HD, as absolutely possible.
    I like the fact that I will be able to watch TV stations in cities, some 70-75 miles away, that broadcast different stations and different programming than I can get locally. Also, the stronger/more sensitive the antenna, the (hopefully) better chance I will have of part-time DXing of far distant channels. I live in eastern Iowa, which translates to flat land without any real obstructing views towards broadcast towers, so I think I will have little trouble with good reception of at least the local towers, some 30-35 miles away.
    Jeremy M

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Damn man Send the thing back and document all the crap that has been going on.
    Go to all the proper venues and raise hell.
    I would have lost my min a long time ago!!
    Time for a 24, and a weekend with a hot brunette [​IMG]
    Brent L

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

What you might do with the antenna is to buy everything but the actual antenna. Put up all of the mounting hardware, rotor and wiring. When you get the actual antenna, it's a five minute job to go up there and slip it in place.
    Flat places do have that advantage. Sometime you can pick up an even farther away station beause they have a higher output. When I was a kid my signal used to bounce off of a hospital 2 blocks away, causing an awful ghost, so consider that too, but UHF is more stable.
    Glenn

8. Jeremy M

Jeremy M Agent

Glenn-
    Thanks for all the advice... I'm think I am going to use some.
    I am going to call back the claim adjuster tomorrow (who called this weekend, but I wasn't home at the time) and tell them the info and give them a time I will be home so they can come and inspect the damage themselves.
    I'm thinking I will ask if I can get a full refund of my money back from Crazy Eddie (cost of TV AND wrongful shipping charge, total of around $1180) and use that money to get me that expensive rig of an antenna (best reception possible out there), amp/pre-amp, rotor, and a professional installation.
    I will then use the rest to start a savings toward a 42" Toshiba HX81.
    I'm ready to cut my losses and forget this whole ugly ordeal. I'm thinking I could get more enjoyment on my old 27" RCA with an antenna hooked up to it, pulling in channels from surrounding areas right now than keeping this TV. Considering how DirecTV is my only source of HDTV and that source is very small, at this time anyway.
    Jeremy M