I just bought my first RPTV, what next?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Hall, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Mark Hall

Mark Hall Auditioning

Today I purchased the Sony KP57HW40 and it will be delivered on Wednesday. It is my first rear projection tv, I plan on purchasing the lastest Avia or VE to calibrate it when it comes in. I know I need to turn the contrast down immediately. Other than that what else do I need to do. How long till I can hook my Xbox up to my new 57" inch widescreen tv? Also, what should I do to try and break the set in so that I can enjoy it for years to come.

Thanks for any help you can give me

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The recommendation is that you run the RPTV for around a hundred hours or so before having it professionally calibrated (and your set deserves such a calibration), the thinking being the CRTs will "seat" properly after that much use.

As for what you need to do after the set arrives, you already are thinking in the right direction: Reduce the contrast and brightness from the factory-default settings, as well as the so-called sharpness control. Use either AVIA or Video Essentials to dial the thing in as best you can short of having the ISF representative over.

You also need to converge the set. I don't know how extensive the convergence options on the Sony are from the user menu, but take the time to do the multi-point convergence over whatever "flash"-convergence feature the Sony might have. Plan on reconverging the set routinely.

Keep us posted after the set arrives. And congratulations.

3. Mark Hall

Mark Hall Auditioning

How do I go about converging my set? I'm sorry if thats a dumb question, also will getting the set calibrated void the warranty? I'm getting very anxious as I only have two more days until it arrives.

Thanks for the reply

4. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jack,
    Figure I'd throw in my new set question now. When you're breaking in the initial 100+ hrs, is a full frame signal reccomended? So no letterboxed DVDs for the first month or so... *sniff, tear forms* Unless you stretch them out if you have a 16x9 set.
    Thanks [​IMG]