I just bought LOTR widescreen edition...did I messed up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Wolfman, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

I went to Sam Goody and they only had the widescreen version of LOTR instead of the extended version. Should I return and buy extended version? What is the real difference besides the extras and longer version of the film? Is the sound quality equal? Thx.

2. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Well, the first place you f-cked up was by buying anything at Sam Goody, which is one of the most overpriced stores around. [​IMG]

But, yes, the picture and sound are both slightly better on the extended edition. EE has a DTS track, the theatrical cut (which is what I assume you mean by "widescreen edition") has only Dolby Digital.

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Josh,
    You might do a search or just read Ron's review, then others on that same thread give their review. I'll just say this...I will NEVER watch the theatrical version dvd again. At least not the movie. I do like the extra stuff on disc 2. Good Luck in your search. [​IMG]

And you might also consider editing the topic header? Just a thought.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

And you might also want to post this in the Software section too, since it is a software releted question.

5. DaveGR

DaveGR Stunt Coordinator

I for one like to have the actual film,,the extended version isnt the actual theatrical film. So I as many did,bought them both.I always like to have the original,the extended version of any film is a bonus. oh well thats just me.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I have both, and I feel that they both have their merrits. I feel that the theatrical cut moves a bit faster, sometimes a bit too fast, but otherwise is a great film. The extended version slows the story down a bit, fleshes it out a bit more, and adds to the whole experience. But they're both quite good [​IMG]

I have simmilar feelings about both cuts of Almost Famous/Untitled.

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I also have both and prefer the original theatrical version. Peter Jackson stated that the theatrical release is his definitive version of the film, so in my humble opinion, the original 2 disc is the version that is a must have. If you are a big fan of the film, the EE is well worth the money,has 30 extra minutes, different extras than the 2 disc, and does have improved video quality.

8. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Personally, I had limited funds and I held out for the EE. I'm very glad I did, as I think it may be one of the best DVD sets out there. I do plan on borrowing the theatrical cut from a friend to see the extras on it, though.

And by the way, you NEVER go wrong with buying a widescreen edition of a film...we just need to convince the rest of the world of that fact! [​IMG]

9. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

At least you got the WS version. I'd keep that one and get the Extended Edition too. So you can have both versions. I think both versions are extremely well put together, the EE cut works very well. Its makes it a better film. But the FotR Theatrical is also a great film. Now, TTT, the EE is gonna be about a million times better than the Theatrical. So much stuff in TTT that got cut.

Either way, at least you got it on DVD.

10. Declan

Declan Second Unit

From the title of the thread Josh it sounds like you were after th 4:3 version, and you know with a statement like that you could get linched around here[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

If you can't afford both, get the EE. The extras are amazing![​IMG]

12. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

EE, Nuff said! It's not one of the best dvd packages out there. It is the BEST![​IMG] The only problem with th EE is the extra time waiting for it. November is a long time away for TTT. That wait is going to kill me because I won't buy the theatrical cut.

13. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

In my opinion, the way I look at it, the two disc sets are archives of the theatrical movie. 14 months ago, when none of had a clue what PJ was going to be bringing us, we had the trailers, the web docs, and a few TV spots to give us an idea. That's about it, but thye generated a massive frenzy that has so far been justified a hundred times over. The two disc sets are an archive of that frenzy, they contain everything leading up to that first theatrical version of the movie. That's why I have the theatrical version of Fellowship, and will be getting the theatrical version of the other two movies as well. The docs on the EE go beyond anything else ever done for a DVD before, but from watching it, you don't get the feeling of anticipation of what's coming, what are you about to see. I'm not as strongly about the original theatrical version as many members here are, if a later release can improve on the theatrical, then so much the better, and I htink the EE did that (although I'm still somewhat ambivalent about the new intro to Hobbitton, I think the rest of the additions were of tremendous benefit. That said though, the extras on the two disc make it worth it for me, especially at Wal-Mart (or insert retailer's name here) $15 first week price. Getting to see ht emovie several times before the EE as well as those supplements are absolutely worth it to me.

14. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

When I bought the EE, I wasn't really interested in all the extras, just the extra bit of the movie. Having watched about 2/3 of the extras, they are some of the best movie docs I have ever seen, and now I like the movie even better.

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When the EE version came, I sold off my original version to buy it and I am a very happy camper.

16. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

Get both.

17. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

18. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I have the TE FOTR and the EE, and I wouldn't dream of parting with either of them.

For TTT, I'll have my Academy screener DVD, the original Theatrical release DVD, and the EE. And I'll be happy to keep them all!

19. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I have both but prefer to watch the theatrical version. The EE version is a nice addition, but I see why the extra scenes where cut.

20. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I love having both versions as well. The 2-disc set is the only way you get the trailers! I love having those and the original theatrical cut is also a bonus.

Dan.b