What's new

i just bought aura bass shakers...need help! (1 Viewer)

paul watkins

Stunt Coordinator
ok, i just bought them today(AST-2B-4)aura bass shakers.i think i can mount them ok.
second i bought this plate amp from parts express.http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=9387&DID=7.i need to know how to hook it up to the shakers,a wiring diagram would be nice.also the plate amp does not have a mono input,do i run it to the red rca?
my reciever has two sub outs,i just run one to my regular sub,and the other to my plate amp for shakers right?i already have the sub cable.is there anything else i need?besides speaker wire.
also is the plate amp ok the way it comes or do i need to inclose it some how.like my regular sub box.do i need to buy or build a box for it,or just sit it on the ground?
i dont understand ohms very well,so i would like to know before i hook up the shakers,the correct way to run the speaker wires from the plate amp.
any additional info would be helpful.
my reciever is a sony STR de-945

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Go to Smarthome.com find the link to the Aura shakers.... there you should find the correct wiring to use with the plate amp. With two LFE outputs, just run one each to your sub and to the plate amp. Start with the plate amp with a LOW setting and move upward until you get the shake you desire.

BTW: On mounting, find a solid place on the frame of the furniture you intend to mount to.

paul watkins

Stunt Coordinator
i see the diagram for hooking it up from the reciever on the website.but what about running the speaker wire from the plate amp to the shakers.

and also is the plate amp ok as a stand alone,or do i need to build a box to put it in,is it ok to sit the plate amp on carpet?overheating?

paul watkins

Stunt Coordinator
do i want run them in series or parallel?

series being 8 ohm

parallel being 2 ohm

it says in manual they are 4 ohms normal.
do i want to run them stereo or mono/bridged?
how do i do this?
i'm confused here!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The plate amp is a mono amp and can only go as low as 4 ohms. So, wire the pair of shakers in series to achieve 1-8ohm load. hook the leftover + and - leads from the shakers to the two wires comming out of the back of the amp + and -. You don't need to build a box for the amp but it would sure look nicer if you did.

In case you don't know how to wire them in series:

hook one shakers + to the other shakers - to achieve a series connection, the first shakers - should go to the - on the amp and the second shakers + should go to the + on the amp. Simple as that.

paul watkins

Stunt Coordinator
ok thanks,my last question is the plate amp has RCA inputs,not one input like my regular sub box,do i plug the sub cable in the white or red RCA jack coming from my reciever.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
eather input will give you the same thing. If you wonted to you can use a Y cable at the plate amp & get a 3db gain.
This dose not increase the overall power or volume but will allow you to turn the subs gain down a little more.

paul watkins

Stunt Coordinator
you mean a "y" cable at the plate amp.coming from the reciever.instead of just one going to the plate amp(white or red).this will give me the ability to lower the volume going to the shakers?

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Pretty much. Like I said it will not increase the power output but dose give you a 3db gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.