What's new

I just bought a Samsung 931 (1 Viewer)

Rick_AAAAA

Auditioning
I know that most people "in the know" really like the Bravo unit over the Samsung 931. However I am not in a position (living Canada) to risk ordering a DVD player through the Internet (mainly due to the fact that once it crosses the boarder the warranty is null and void).

So I went over to my local stereo shop and spent my Christmas gift money and bought myself a Samsung 931 1080i-DVD player. This was an upgrade from my Pioneer progressive scan (540p) unit that I bought two years ago (which is now having video black out problems during playback).

I have to say that the picture quality is great on the 1080i unit! I get good clean images and vibrant colors, even during fast action scenes.

Now to answer the 64K question...

Is the video quality on a DVD better with 1080i output than with 540p output?

The answer is no not really. Although the picture is by far superior to a standard DVD player (no progressive scan). However it is really hard to see a "noticeable difference" between 1080i and a really good progressive scan player with top quality cables (which I had on my 540p unit).

In fact both my wife and I were hard pressed to see any difference between my old 540p player and the new 1080i player even in PiP mode on our HDTV. Now I do not have a DLP monitor (my Sony KV-34XBR800 34" widescreen HDTV makes use of traditional picture tube) so if you have a newer/larger screen technology, you may see a vast improvement over 540p units... but my money is on "not really".

Overall I have to say that I am really glad I bought this 1080i player (mainly because it freed up a composite port of my TV, which I can now use for my xbox). Plus the picture on the 1080i player is every bit as good as my old 540p player.... just not any better as far as I can see.

I just that some of you might like to know this before you spend your money.

AlCruz

Auditioning
i have the 931 myself and 1080i does look a lot better than 480p. but wouldn't 540p be the same as 10801?

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
It's been my understanding the the DVI upscaling players really only show any significant improvement on fixed pixel displays.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks