I just bought a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra...and I'm a little frightened.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jason Adams, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    I bought it a week ago, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. But, I have heard that the hard drive dies in 6-8 months. So, are there people here that have this mp3 player like a year or so?

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I don't have it, but I looked up some of the reviews on Amazon, and since I'm looking to get a MP3 player in the next few months, I'm pretty sure I would've stopped considering this after reading the 10+ negative reviews, not all of them concerning the hard drive, but the headphone jack as well. If I were you, I'd return it if possible and get an iPod. Just kidding [​IMG], I'm not one of those "you have an MP3 player and it's not an iPod?!" people. Creative's 90 day warranty is pretty short and shady, and some of the reviews told of horrible customer service, although there are bad apples at every company. If I haven't convinced you by now to consider returning it, I don't know what else would work. [​IMG]

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Negative reviews? I remember looking at this player, and at least getting a few great reviews (IGN gear has a great one).

I've had a chance to play around with one of these though, and it seems solid enough. I've had my 40 Gb Nomad Jukebox 3 for about eight months though, and still no problems at all. My only issue with the Zen players is that there aren't as many buttons as the NJB3, but it is a smaller player, so I suppose that's understandable.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Reviews from IGN and the like don't take into account the life span of the product, because they're only to test it for a short period of time. Customer reviews at Amazon and the like are more helpful, I think.

5. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

I had a Zen 40GIG player for a few weeks. I eventually returned it for the comparable iPOD. In my case however, I simply didn't like to the way the Zen amnaged my music files. That was the driving factor for me to switch up. I just think that the iPOD is a more elegent design. I certinly still think the Zen is a viable alternative tothe iPOD, especially at its price point.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I've had mine for the past 3 and a half years with no hard drive problems, although the ZEN may be different.