What's new

I Just Bent A Pin in My New $35 S-Video Cable: Am I Screwed? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
In my over-eagerness to setup my system, I just bent one of the four small pins on one end of my new S-Video cable. I was able to bend it back using tweezers and source material seems to play correctly. Did I cause any damage? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yes I would definatly not use this cable if it's been damaged. My advice since you just bought it I assume, is to take it back to the store and just tell them that it's defective in some way. You don't have to tell them you did it, they should have no problem letting you exchange it for another as long as you still have the reciept.
------------------
So madly in love with Estella Warren!

YANG

Screenwriter
Another solution to save your cable is by doing DIY repair using the existing cable,replace it with a new connector,if your soldering job is good enough...

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
My advice since you just bought it I assume, is to take it back to the store and just tell them that it's defective in some way. You don't have to tell them you did it, they should have no problem letting you exchange it for another as long as you still have the reciept.
I guess you could get away with that. Doesn't make it right.
------------------
The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Personally, I think that if the pin was bent just once and then bent back with no damage (and still appears solid and not about to break on you) you could probably still use that cable. Then again, $35 isn't an enormous amount of money to pay to ensure that it won't break in the connetor or something...
------------------
/Kimmo

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'd use it. It usually takes a few hard bends to get a pin to break off, and it's not like the S-video connection is supporting any real weight.
No worries.
Todd

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
--Rant on-- After reading the posts about another members unwanted delivery of a $100 surge protector, I felt that the majority of us believed that being honest was the best way to go.
One little bend will probably not break the pin, so carefully bending it back will probably be ok. However, I do strongly feel that the s-video connector was vary poorly designed in the first place, or they should be sold with a free flashlight, but this is why it pays to pay more for cables. A quality connecter does pay for itself.
I would have a guilty conscience bring it back and saying that it was defective. Sorry, but you should buy another one. If it the same brand or not is up to you, but in any case you should write a letter to the manufacturer and tell them that they have cheap pins!
--Rant off--
Glenn

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
You don't say what brand of cable it was, but you might want to check the manufacturer's warranty.
I had a problem with a Monster Cable s-video cable once and Monster has a lifetime replacement warranty regardless of what the problem is. I e-mailed them, they gave me a return authorization number, I sent them the cable and had a replacement within 10 days.

Chuck Blair

Agent
I've used over a dozen s-video cables that have had bent pins and were used with no problems after the pins were straigtened. Don't worry about it. Spend the money on a couple DVDs instead of a new cable.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I've used over a dozen s-video cables that have had bent pins and were used with no problems after the pins were straigtened. Don't worry about it. Spend the money on a couple DVDs instead of a new cable.
My only concern with this is if the pin is weakened enough that it may break off inside a piece of equipment. If the cable is under warranty, replace it. You might be all right otherwise, but I'm not sure I'd take the risk.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, to be honest, I have no idea what kinds of metals are being used in the construction of these nightmares. After I bent one of mine and got done crying, I went out and got a Monster. I don't know if the pins are any better, but I think that the ridges on the outer shell are slightly more promounced, and/or are made of a stronger metal. As a result, it is extremely difficult to put it in the wrong way and getting a pin to bend.
Not that I want to start a war between Monster and other 'high quality' cables, but the connecter is just as important. Before HT, most of my cables were the Radio Shack gold line, and I thought they were great.
(Yes, its time to cringe) My CATV went haywire, and the guy came out and found out that when they had installed their digital line, they didn't ground it. Then he grabbed one of my gold cables and with hardly any pressure at all, pulled the connector off of the end of the cable. "Crap"
Glenn

Larry Chanin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi:
Originally posted by Glenn Overholt:
However, I do strongly feel that the s-video connector was vary poorly designed in the first place, or they should be sold with a free flashlight, but this is why it pays to pay more for cables. A quality connector does pay for itself.

I'm embarrassed to say that I ran into this same problem with some more expensive high-quality silver cables. Only in my case I didn't have to worry about replacing the cable, because when I attempted to bend the pin back it broke off. I have to admit before this incident I never really studied the construction of quality S-video connectors, but upon examination it did seem to me that the long length of the pins virtually guaranteed problems for enthusiasts (such as myself) who are too much in a hurry and are working in the dark by feel. Frankly, I don't know if the "cheaper" S-video connectors have shorter pins or not.
I guess I lean with Sean's position in that I think the nature of s-video connectors are inherently easy to screw-up, especially if you're in a hurry. Having said that, I also think that some connectors, including the quality connectors, lack flat sides on the connector body to help you line up the connector by feel. This is helpful when you're working in tight quarters where you may not even see the socket, but obviously they aren't foolproof either.
Well, in my case I had a happy ending. I called the manufacturer, told them the stupid thing that I had done, and they offered to replace the cable at no charge except for the additional shipping to return the original cable. I rather not get into who the manufacturer was, because they're a small company and I'd hate to see them inundated by dubious claims. Suffice it to say that they are not Monster Cable.
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread