I Just Bent A Pin in My New $35 S-Video Cable: Am I Screwed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

In my over-eagerness to setup my system, I just bent one of the four small pins on one end of my new S-Video cable. I was able to bend it back using tweezers and source material seems to play correctly. Did I cause any damage? Any recommendations? Thanks.

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Yes I would definatly not use this cable if it's been damaged. My advice since you just bought it I assume, is to take it back to the store and just tell them that it's defective in some way. You don't have to tell them you did it, they should have no problem letting you exchange it for another as long as you still have the reciept.
    ------------------
    So madly in love with Estella Warren!

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Another solution to save your cable is by doing DIY repair using the existing cable,replace it with a new connector,if your soldering job is good enough...

4. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Personally, I think that if the pin was bent just once and then bent back with no damage (and still appears solid and not about to break on you) you could probably still use that cable. Then again, $35 isn't an enormous amount of money to pay to ensure that it won't break in the connetor or something...
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I'd use it. It usually takes a few hard bends to get a pin to break off, and it's not like the S-video connection is supporting any real weight.
    No worries.
    Todd

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Thanks guys. I think I'll go ahead and replace it.

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

--Rant on-- After reading the posts about another members unwanted delivery of a $100 surge protector, I felt that the majority of us believed that being honest was the best way to go.
    One little bend will probably not break the pin, so carefully bending it back will probably be ok. However, I do strongly feel that the s-video connector was vary poorly designed in the first place, or they should be sold with a free flashlight, but this is why it pays to pay more for cables. A quality connecter does pay for itself.
    I would have a guilty conscience bring it back and saying that it was defective. Sorry, but you should buy another one. If it the same brand or not is up to you, but in any case you should write a letter to the manufacturer and tell them that they have cheap pins!
    --Rant off--
    Glenn

10. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

You don't say what brand of cable it was, but you might want to check the manufacturer's warranty.
    I had a problem with a Monster Cable s-video cable once and Monster has a lifetime replacement warranty regardless of what the problem is. I e-mailed them, they gave me a return authorization number, I sent them the cable and had a replacement within 10 days.

11. Chuck Blair

Chuck Blair Agent

I've used over a dozen s-video cables that have had bent pins and were used with no problems after the pins were straigtened. Don't worry about it. Spend the money on a couple DVDs instead of a new cable.

12. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, to be honest, I have no idea what kinds of metals are being used in the construction of these nightmares. After I bent one of mine and got done crying, I went out and got a Monster. I don't know if the pins are any better, but I think that the ridges on the outer shell are slightly more promounced, and/or are made of a stronger metal. As a result, it is extremely difficult to put it in the wrong way and getting a pin to bend.
    Not that I want to start a war between Monster and other 'high quality' cables, but the connecter is just as important. Before HT, most of my cables were the Radio Shack gold line, and I thought they were great.
    (Yes, its time to cringe) My CATV went haywire, and the guy came out and found out that when they had installed their digital line, they didn't ground it. Then he grabbed one of my gold cables and with hardly any pressure at all, pulled the connector off of the end of the cable. "Crap"
    Glenn

14. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Hi: