I just beat Jak 2!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kevin Farley, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

After many, many hours of battle, this once weak gamer finally killed the big baddie. Great ending! and I look forward to 3. Wow, this was a hard game. But so much work went into making it, and it was fun/torture/fun.
    Who else beat this game? I'd love to hear from you...

Whew.

2. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

C'mon, man, I can't be the only one who played, fought, and beat this game!

3. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

I have a copy, still sitting in its shrink wrap.

4. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

How are the Jak series?...I have never played. What are they like?

5. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Kevin,

I totally feel your pain, dude.

I felt like such a weak gamer trying to tackle this monster. Don't get me wrong -- I've played challenging games before, but this one is sadistic and frustrating. Endless relay missions with lasers flying at you from all directions, your craft instantly exploding when it collides with random lasers and vehicles, not to mention a complete lack of fair continue points. (When Sections 1-9 are easy and section 10 is impossible, why do you think I want to repeat 1-9 over and over just to get to 10?)

What sucks is how much effort was shoveled into the game. It's beautiful and the cinema scenes are gold. You'd think such a big-budget game would have been better-balanced. There's so much to see and experience if you can just "let go" and keep repeating the missions over and over and over (and over and over) again. It was worth it in the end, I guess.

If I hadn't wanted to play Jak3 so badly, I wouldn't have given the extra effort, but I did, and it's one of my proudest achievements as a PS2 gamer. Jak3 is a better game in every way -- the designers really learned from their mistakes. It's very challenging but not nearly as frustrating as Jak2, and the graphics are even nicer!

Bill,

The Jak games are action-platformers. They're worth checking out if you like lots of exploration, collection, epic worlds, goofy-mystical storylines, etc. The original Jak & Daxter was one of the best early platformers on the PS2.

~s

6. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

I loved Jak II, but man the balance was atrocious. Easy, moderate, easy, moderate, moderate, moderate, OMFG THIS IS TEH IMPOSSIBLE!!! easy, moderate, easy, easy...

The game reeks of polish. The animations are fantastic, character development is exceptional, and the levels are amazingly creative, but there were aspects of the game where you wanted to scream at the developers and ask what they were thinking.

Jak 3 was flatter for me. I found the plot to be more lacking, especially in all the little character moments that were so well done in II. The difficulty was better overall, although I found the game too easy. Jak II was just right except for the occasional mission that was impossible. 3 never was quite as hard as I wanted it to be, but the overall curve was better. Light Jak was kinda gimicky to me, and I was very disappointed in the marginalization of Keira and Samos. And I was not a fan of the ending, especially given the fantastic set-up that II gave it.

It was a fine game, and well worth owning and playing, but whereas I found Jak II to be overall brilliant with a few horrendous decisions, Jak 3 was a more consistent effort but at a lower average level. II averaged a 9.4 or so, peaked at a 9.7, but dropped into the low 8s, while 3 held a consistent high 8 score from me.

7. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

Really, you guys thought it was hard? I honestly thought it was really really easy...just long. I'm no expert gamer either. It is a great game though!