1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

I just auditioned a set of Paradigm Titans.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

and they were awesome! I couldn't believe the powerful sound these speakers were producing. Like you guys recommended I had the salesperson turn off the sub and set the speakers as large. They were being played in a large wide open show floor and they filled the floor with great sound. The bass was great as well. Tight and accurate. I do have one concern though. When I was listening it sounded great and the receiver was flat(no bass or treble adjustments)but the bass was still great. But at home on my receiver(a Pioneer VSX-D510) when I play music flat, it sounds too bright so I turn down the treble a little. Are Pioneer receivers brighter than most?

2. Nathan Cook

Nathan Cook Agent

i had the titans hooked up to a pioneer vsx-453 (early pro logic model) and i had to turn the treble way down also.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, they are very good speakers for the price. I used a pair for a while in my bedroom system for a while (swapped for Mini Monitors), with no sub, and they do have plenty of bass. That bass comes at the expense of some accuracy, and I find them to be a little loose in the lower midrange.

Give a pair of Mini Monitor V3s a listen, and you will hear a noticable improvement in midrange clarity, while retaining all of the bass response.

Then there is the Axiom M3Ti, for not much more than the Titans, they are FAR clearer in the midrange, but definitely lacking low end extension.

4. Justin Ward

Thanks for the suggestions John. I was originally planning on going for the mini-monitors but they are out of my price range(I'm only in high school and I have other things to buy). I have basically decided that I will buy the Titans and then how they perform in my room(relatively small) will decide how I continue to upgrade. If I find the Titans are great in stereo I will buy another set of titans or atoms for the rear. If I find they lack in stereo I will move them to the rear and buy a speaker from the monitor series for fronts. Is the timbre match acceptable between the Performance and Monitor Lines? Also, I will evantually replace the center speaker(a cheap kenwood) but I'm not sure which would be best. I would prefer it to blend in with the Titans and possibly the smaller speakers from the monitor series.

5. Justin Ward

Oh and did get to hear a set of Axiom M2tis. They had a little more clarity than the Titans but the bass was weaker and they were quite bright. Are the m3s bright as well?

6. John Garcia

John

7. Justin Ward

Does my upgrading path sound like a good idea? Should I be looking into the deciated surrounds in the performance line like the ADP-170? Also how is the CC170 as a center? If I buy the CC170 center will it still keep up with some speakers from the monitor series?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm new to HT and want to make good decisions.

8. John Garcia

John
    I think your upgrade path sounds fine.

Compared to the cost of the ADPs, I feel the Titans do perfectly fine as surrounds. In my room, I can't really use the ADPs anwyay and I more or less prefer monopole surrounds also. Either will work, but if cost is an issue now, I'd go with the Titans.

The CC170 is a little "boxy" sounding to me, but can handle plenty of power. Fairly respectable bass for a center of this price and size. It also blends well enough with the Monitors that it can be used with them until you can upgrade. The tweeters are slightly different in material and construction between the two lines, but they are both titanium (1" for Monitors, 3/4" for the Performance line), and don't sound bad together.

9. Justin Ward

Thanks for the answer John. I just wanted to make sure that my upgrading would go smoothly. The only reason I ask about the ADP-170 is because Paradigm(like most companies) recommend multidirectional speakers. Now that I have my monopole surrounds wall-mounted above ear level(they used to be at ear level pointed directly at me) they sound a little less directional. Before when I watched movies(mostly Pro-Logic) and there was rain it sounded like there were two rain clouds! One to my back left and one to my back right! Now the surrounds seem a less directional so I think I can do without dipoles. You mention the CC-170 sounds a little boxy, would an upgrade to the 270 or even 370 be a good idea if the price leap is not huge? Since I have a center speaker now, I can wait longer and save more for this upgrade. The store I am going to buy from only has one set of Titans left, I think I am going to get them to set them aside for me, they want 20% down for this. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the price of the Titans, only $229 Canadian, I guess it pays to be Canadian sometimes.

10. John Garcia

John
    I got my black, shielded, V3 Titans for $189, but I think it STILL pays off to be Canadian when it comes to Paradigm's stuff [​IMG]
    My dealer does not carry the 270, only the 170 and 370, so I haven't had a chance to listen to it. The 370 is actually in the Monitor line, as in the US is about $150 more than the 170, which is around $199. The 270 uses the same drivers as the Titans, so it should be a bit better, and the 370 uses the same drivers as the Minis, and is correspondingly a bit more clear. I can't say the 370 doesn't still have a little of that boxy sound, but I have not yet gotten to hear a V3 370.

11. TonyE

TonyE Stunt Coordinator

Hi, i've been a lurker here for months. In fact i have learned so much from searching this forum i actually have no questions regarding HT and probably won't for a while, anyways....

I currently have a pair of Titans in my bedroom, and the CC-170 center as well as the Micros for my surrounds.

The Titans of course rock. The bass is great for a bookshelf speaker, though many consider it to be just a tad bit "boomy". But i definately wish i had a sub for more low end but can't because i stay in a college apartment, which would travel through the thin walls we have here.

I used to have just the Titans and then i added the CC-170, and man what a difference! I actually am just as suprised on how sounds moves across my front stage than my surrounds. I think the CC-170 keeps up with the Titans just fine. Don't get the CC-70 unless you only get the Micros or something, definately not worth the minute savings. Of course they are all timbre mathched as well! Though if you go with something above the Titans like the Mini Monitors you might want to try auditioning them together first.

Be warned though that the Titans and the CC-170 are big speakers compared to others in the same price ranges and above.

Bottom line i couldn't be happier with these speakers and did lots of research before buying these. I recommend these speakers to everyone who wants HT speakers and are on a budget like me.