What's new

I helped my brother convert to widescreen! Praise be! (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
My oldest brother Brian (32) got a DVD player for Christmas. I was happy that he finally signed up buuuuuut was worried about the whole "Gosh I hate black bars" thing.
Well I helped him set it up and then he popped in his first rental "Joe Dirt" (NOT by my recommendation.) Then I started in about how widescreen is better since you can see the whole picture, etc etc.
He just blindly says "I don't like that stuff man." I still continue with my arguments but he wraps it up by saying "You watch it your way, I'll watch it mine."
I wasn't gonna let that stop me.:)
So I started e-mailing him links to sites like www.widescreen.org and other places where he could see for himself the differences between wonderful widescreen and pathetic pan and scan.
Didn't hear back from him for a week.
Then he came over today and asked to borrow some of my DVD's (knew that was comin'!) but he blew my socks off with what he said next.
"Yeah, I only watch widescreen now. That 'Joe Dirt' DVD let me watch both versions and I saw the picture I was losin plus the full screen picture isn't as sharp....it loses definition when it's blown up, right?"
I immediately jumped up and hugged the crap outta him.
"I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!" I said.
A wonderful, widescreen family moment.
We'll win the widescreen war, keep the faith brothers and sisters.

Steve_E

Agent
I can remember reading that someone perferred his pan and scan copy of The Phantom Menace because Qui-Gons death is "far more cinematic" :laugh: oh man! :laugh: he got flamed bad for that.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Lol yeah i know that feeling when you finally see your family listens to ya :) when dvd first came out everyone in my house had the "I hate black bars because they cut off the picture" mentality" Each person i showed them a movie they like both ways. Easiest way to change there opinion. I even converted my grandprents.

Capt

wally

Second Unit
Michael, hug you brother for all of us. Tell him to tell his friends, and so on and so on...

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
If the studios would educate the public on why the blackbars are there there wouldnt be as much of a fuss.
I know this has been said before of course,but it would make our jobs alot easier.
I just dread the thought of having to fight to get OAR on a formant built for the enthusiast in the firts place.
makes me a trifle bit upset.
Congrats on convertinfg your brother...i Have converted my entire family and a few friends as well.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks