What's new

I heard the new Rush single... (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
'One Little Victory' - supposedly it's a demo version (but it was 5 minutes long). The full version should be on the radio nationwide by the beginning of next week.

Now for what you've all been waiting for...what did I think? Overall...UGH! It starts out really good and heavy, but it's all downhill from there. I am confident that once I hear the full version, and give it a few more listens I will start to like it, but man I am disappointed thus far. The worst part is that the lyrics seemed somewhat cheesy (not very Peart-like). I am finding that this all seems to be the consensus among the other Rush diehards out there as well.

On the positive side, I should also mention that I didn't care for the last 3 "main" singles that Rush released from their last 3 albums. (Roll The Bones, Stick It Out, and Test For Echo.) All three of those albums offered so many better options - especially Counterparts.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I remember when Half the World was released as the single for Test For Echo. A pretty tune, but one of the weaker songs on that great album (yes, I consider TFE to be a great album).

Scott, I'm surprised at the songs you listed as singles. I remember Cold Fire being the big single from Counterparts and Half the World from TFE. IMO, the title track from TFE is one of Rush's best songs.

I can't wait to start hearing some new Rush on the radio.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Mike, what I meant by "main" singles was the FIRST one that they released for that album...not necessarily the biggest. Interesting what you say about Cold Fire though. When Counterparts came out, obviously 'Stick It Out' was the first single released and where I was at the time (NJ area) they played it a lot on the radio. Then eventually they started playing 'Nobody's Hero' all the time (which was fine by me). But I NEVER heard 'Cold Fire'...until I took a road trip down to Florida, and I must have heard that song on the way home (between FL and NC) about 20 times. I just remember wondering why the NY/NJ stations never played, and never did even after that (at least not the stations I was listening to).

As for TFE, that album just never did it for me. It has it's moments, but I consider it one of their weakest efforts. I consider Counterparts one of their strongest, especially post Moving Pictures.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
If I can recall, Rush released "Driven" off TFE, which I think is a great album and "Driven" is a kick ass song IMO.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just remember wondering why the NY/NJ stations never played, and never did even after that (at least not the stations I was listening to).
That is odd. I was living in New York at the time. What radio station were you listening to? I remember Q104.3 (are they still around?). At the time, I didn't know anything about Rush, and Cold Fire was the only song I knew by them until a friend introduced me to Moving Pictures.
And yes, Driven rocks. :)
NP: Jethro Tull, Thick As A Brick, CD

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I remember Q104.3, but I rarely listened to them (if I remember correctly, they played the heavier stuff). I believe my station of choice at the time was 102.7 WNEW, which last I heard is an all talk station now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks