What's new

I heard from the long lost Ron-P (1 Viewer)

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
This kinda reminds me of another guy who left the forum a long time ago. He wrote some great posts and was a big name around here. Hmm, his name escapes me... Guy with a mustache. Was it Peter or Ron...or...? (no, not that Ron :) ) I'm sure some of you remember his name.

Oh yeah, I think he coined the phrase "elitist bastard"... :D

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I think he coined the phrase "elitist bastard""

Not sure who you speak of Lars, I just know with all this excitment over Ron coming back into the fold I need to take Knapp:)

B

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Guys, a couple of friends turned me on to Stella on Saturday. We drank five pitchers of the stuff on tap in an outdoor bistro on Hollywood Boulevard (The Cat and the Fiddle). I must have more.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have not tried this. What's it like Jack? Light, dark, bitter, smooth?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I put Stella Artois in the very good, but not great category

Unlike some of the heavier, full-bodied Ales from Belgium, Stella is a crisp, clean beer. Very much a Pilsner-style beer, I don ‘t think that it would be your cup of tea (so to speak), Ron. It is pretty well balanced, but really nothing too special stands out. Very nice for a summer afternoon, and as Jack has mentioned, you can drink more than one. Light gold in color, a fair amount of carbonation, just some malt that can be discerned and the same for the hops. Clean aftertaste, but it does not linger.

It is a very big seller in the UK and one of the bigges in Belgium. It is much more of a mass produced beer than the more typical Belgium brews (or the micro-breweries here).

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Ron, nothing to see here.

Lew, your assumptions are correct. I can guarantee Ron would hate that beer.

Although his tastes are eclectic, mostly balanced, he just has a distaste for many Belgian and German outings(with the exception of certain Hefeweizen). I've noticed usually when the malt plays the dominant role.

I struck out on these suggestions:

Duvel: The legend!, the beloved, in my top 5 of any style. "Tastes like champagne, crappy champagne"

Chimay Grande Reserve Bleu: :thumbsdown: Didn't like, pure sacrilege. :)

Some Winners:
St. Peter's Old-Style Porter
Hobgoblin Nut Brown
St Peter's Cream Stout

St. Peter's, although mild and easily dismissed by some of our hyperactive American palates, are some very fine ales. Complex, without bashing your face in. Cool cask-style bottles too. Pricey!

For balance, in my opinion, the epitome is Fuller's 1845 Ale. Pour yourself a glass with your next hobbitual nature marathon.

How the hell did I get here? It must be all that STP I dropped in the 70's.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
After googling that beer, you are correct Zen, not a brew for my buds. Highly doubt I'd like the stuff.

Several weeks back by brother dropped $150 for a 5 gallon mini-keg of the Chimay White Label for his kegerater. Surprising, this was quite a bit different from the bottle. From what I remember of the bottle it was bitter, way over carbonated with a harsh finish. This was smooth, nice refreshing finish with mild carbonation. Very enjoyable. The two of us polished off about a gallon each that afternoon and it was a good thing the designated driver (my wife) was there. That and a good cuban cigar made for a very happy Saturday. Damn, that was a good brew. Just spoke with him today and he's ordering up another mini in a couple of weeks.

Speaking of the Hobgoblin, I just enjoyed that English Ale yesterday while watching Shrek 2. A brew I always have in the fridge. With regards to sherk 2, the scene with Pinocchio and the thong underwear
had me crying I was laughing so hard...good stuff!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Ron, of course it's different. The Grande Reserve Bleu I suggested to you/ and you tried is a vintaged Belgian strong. Very spicy, woodsy and malts dominate.
Chimay White Label is a tripel and leans more on your side of the spectrum, with the hops playing a larger part. It is tame compared to Chimay's flagship Grande Reserve. This is not a bad thing and I have yet to try the White on tap. It is a refreshing brew in its' bottled form.

Chimay Grande Reserve Bleu is not one to buy, crack and chug. It must be stored and aged properly for the experience to be optimal.

Of all the brews that have floored me in their tap form, the Dutch brews have been the most surprising. Yes, all those skunked (spoiled) green bottled dutch brews are a much different brew from the keg. You know Ron, if you and I could spare the $100 taxi ride, Henry N' Harry's Goathill Tavern is calling our name. We'll just have to settle for some moderate tasting at the Driftwood in August. Oh, and Dominican cigars, right? :) I do have these special cigars. The tobacco only grows somewhere in the Himalayans and has a smooth, tranquil, expansive effect.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Zen, at least you can add Stella to your summer beer list in the beer thread. I think that Jack and his mate had the right approach—a few pitchers outdoors on a sunny afternoon while watching the world go by.

Not a brew for serious conservation by the fine on a winter’s night (that is if you had anything winter in your part of the world. :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Would this be the same Goathill Tavern in Costa Mesa off Newport Blvd.? No need for a $100 Taxi ride. I'll have my designated driver drop us off, she can go shopping for several hours and then come back later. :)

I just spoke with my Vegas buddy who is coming down in two weeks. He's bringing some good cigars with him.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Lew, my summer brew list flopped at the box office. I will though, bring up some fine pilsners over in the beer thread. Hopefully, some good conversation will come out of it. We are starting in the right place with a few fine examples of the style.

I'm a fan of Stella Artois. I mentioned that to Jack in an e-mail. Unfortunately, it was sandwiched in between all my other circular ramble (damn right brain). I love Pilsner Urquell, Sapporoand the like. A pilsner should be judged by what it is. A pilsner. Profound, I know, but if judged as such, "a brew for a good winter conversation it is." (says Yoda) The difference in quality and taste between a Pilsner Urquell and Coor's Light is monsterous.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Ron, that sounds fine and all but forgot ACT 2. Linda: "Ron, who is the tattooed man with all the metal in his face, passed out on our lawn furniture?" :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, a couple of reporter friends and colleagues of mine and I chugged down all those pitchers after taking in a screening of a controversial new film at the Arclight Cinemas in Hollywood. Jazzed and razzed by the effective filmmaking, we went on and on in a beery haze. And, damn it, I really like Stella on tap. Very nice taste, and, as noted, a very summer beer.

In addition to my two friends from work, fellow admin Vince Maskeeper, who's visiting Los Angeles on an internship at 20th Century Fox, attended the showing of the film with us (we bought our tickets days before due to all the sellouts; before seeing this film with us, Vince checked out Spider-Man 2 in the Cinerama Dome -- what an imaginative title for the comic-book movie).

And, not to derail the thread, but remember my threads about a Luddite friend of mine by name of Dave? The same Dave who slowly came around to seeing the light of the DVD day? And how a couple of members here have accused me of making Dave (and all those stories) up?

Well, Vince Maskeeper met my buddy Dave on Monday evening of that same week, when first we tried to see the film. So, Dave exists. Vince has met him. And maybe Vince will confirm it here.

Vince?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ah, but Dennis: He left before the pitchers; Vince had to meet some friends at Ameoba Music, and then go on to a club to check out a band. Vince was beerless (not to mention fearless).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks