What's new

I haven't written one in a while, but a new one from my girflriend (1 Viewer)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Okay, just had another funny conversation with my girlfriend about stereo and hometheater equipment. If you haven't read any of my previous ones, you can do a search if you are so inclined, but the basic theme is that my girlfriend is not only clueless about equipment but also very aggressive in her ability to not understand. Hard to explain, but she finds it to be my fault anything that doesn't work the way she thinks it should also work. It should be noted that my girlfriend, who I may refer to as Master at various times, competitively studied and performed piano and clarinet, her ear is quite good. She is also rather bright.

The setting, outside Innovative Audio Video in Manhattan:

Me: Honey, lets go into Innovative, you have to listen to speakers and I need to look at dvd players.
Her: Huh, why do you need to look at dvd players?
Me: Well, you need one for this year and I am thinking of either giving you mine or buying you one.
Her: Why? You gave me one last year.
Me: Uh, no I didn't
Her: Yes you did.
Me: No....
Her: Yes?!?!
Me: I was planning on buying you one, along with a samsung hdtv 32" tube tv, but you said no.
Her: Yes you did, what was that Mmmmm thing you gave me then?
Me: Oh, the Marantz, that is a cd player Honey.
Her: So?
Me: Well, you will have a tv this year honey, you will need a dvd player.
Her: Huh, why?
Me: Cause you dont have one.
Her: Can't I use the M thing?
Me: No Honey, the Marantz is a cd player only, you can't play DVD's on it.
Her: Are you lying to me? Stop lying to me.
Me: Im telling the truth Master.
Her: Are you trying to trick me so that you can get a new DVD player.
Me: No Master, never Master.
Her: Are you lying?
Me: No Master
Her (she goes into her, im going to trick the truth out of you, mode): So than tell me this, why doesn't it play DVD's
Me (slightly incredulous): Cause it is not a DVD player, it is a CD player.
Her: Well how come my computer playes DVDs and CDs?
Me: Well, almost all DVD players play CDs, but not in vice versa.
Her: Are you lying to me?
Me: No Master.
Her: Why do DVD players play CD's and not the other way around, then, hmmmmm?
Me: Well cd technology was over 15 years old when the first dvd players started to appear. Basic CD playback is a rather cheap addition to a dvd player. But DVD playback is something new and not added to cd players. Older cd players would have been built before DVD techonogy was even available.
Her: This is a new cd player, no?
Me: Yes it is new.
Her: Why did you buy a cd player that doesnt play dvd's then, thats just stupid.
Me: Well, I bought 2 "higher" end cd players to test with "lower" end cd players to see, if on my system and in my room, if I, and a couple of other people could tell the difference between them.
Her: Huh?
Me: Well, I have limited funds, I wanted to see where I should spend most money in the future. I know I am going to put several $1000s more into my system, and I wanted to know where to spend it, this was a test.
Her: Huh, you havent answered my question, and i am getting a headache. Why did you buy a cd player that doesnt play dvds?
Me (this is not going to be easy, time to be obtuse): Cause I wanted it
Her: Thats stupid. Then why did you give it to me if you wanted it.
Me: I wanted you to have a good piece of equipment so that you could enjoy your music. You didnt need a dvd player at the time as you did not have a tv, so I gave you a good piece of equipment that I didnt necessarily need.
Her: If you didnt need it, why did you buy it?
Me (obtuse again): Cause I wanted it.
Her: If I find out that you are lying to me or trying to trick me, you are dead. Im hungry time lets eat.
Me: What about going in to innovative?
Her: Too late, Im hungry and you gave me a headache.
Me: But, uhmmm
Her: Too late, feed me or become food.

Never made it into the store, but she has now found out that cd players dont play dvds, and i get to live...as long as i can explain to her why i bought a cd player that doesnt play dvds and had the nerve to give that to her....

Rich

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Always, Always remember. It is easier to ask forgivness than it is to ask permission;)

I feel kinda lucky:b My girl loves video games and lets me buy any audio equipement. She also watches wrestling. Comes at a price though, I don't say 'nothin when she buys shoes or other various "Knick KnacKs"

What dvd player are you looking at? I'm guessing you meant this for the after hours?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
It is ALL your fault, why din't you just buy a DVD player that would play Cd's in the first place :D & the first thing you have to learn is how to say, "Your Right, Your Right, Your Right" because your never going to win so why even bother trying your just going to get yourself into more trouble. :D

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Rich,

God help you.. Because at this point I guess he's the only
one that can...

The first time a woman called me a liar about anything she
would be walking home from where ever it is that we are..
And when she gets there she would find her garbage awaiting
her outside..

That is Love? That is a Relationship? Sounds more like
Sadochism and Torment to me! Ohhhh the single life once you
get used to not having to put up with the other gender the
more you enjoy times like these..

Nyahhh Nyahhhh Nyahhhhhhhh :D

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
Please tell me she has redeeming qualities. Hot. Rich. WHATEVER.
Now she's in my head. I'm getting a headache...
Now I'm hungry. I'm infected. Is there a cure?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
And you say she's bright huh??

Nice job Kevin. I'm laughing my @$$ off.

I think I need to do something nice for my wife.

Rich next time you are at her place unplugged something on the Mmmm thingy and then when you remove it for "repair" replace it with a DVD player. Then you can "admit" that she is brilliant about your hobby and you can't believe that you didn't think to get a CD player that plays DVDs to begin with. That should score you some major points.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Rich,

Why the heck does she need an HDTV or DVD player at all? If that's her attitude and she doesn't even have a regular TV now, well maybe she isn't a Hi-Def candidate.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
okay, I'll try to answer all the questions...

yes she is bright, magna cum laude at Yale, at Hopkins Med school right now....she is just really technically challenged, i mean she cant do anything on a computer...

as for the hdtv candidate, thats true, and i didnt buy it for her...im giving her my old tv, but i figured if she was going to get a new tv, might as well get one of the samsung hdtv's, the price is so good....

as for the liar part, thats more of an inside joke between us...before we started dating, once in a while i would say something like "you look nice today" or "you are dressed nicely today" and she would say "stop lying to me, you are a liar" but it was more playful than anything...i have habit of making up things and then telling her 5 minutes later that i made something up...so its understandable...when she does that stop lying bit she reminds me of Carol Kane in Princess Bride (though she has never seen it)....

As for repairing the Marantz (and actually replacing it with a dvd player) and telling her right, that would be funny. However, I could not tolerate the gloating and the fact that she would want to make all the stereo equipment decisions.

On the DVD player, I would either give her mine (denon 1600, nice player) and get a universal, though was kind of hoping that rotel or nad or arcam would come out with one (and the funny thing is, im not a strong believer in spending a lot of money on sources, but for some reason i really want a "nice" one), or I would just buy her a sub $200. Maybe a H&K to match her receiver.

As for good qualities, she is very cute, she is bright (in her own ways), very loyal, trustworthy, and faithful, she gets the most out her abilities, playful at times, modest most of the time, thoughtful, and a few other things...most of all, i have fun with her, that conversation still has me laughing. I remember trying toexplain to her why she couldnt have different size front speakers, my god that was a fun conversation.

Rich

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Thanks for the clarification Rich! She doesn't completely
sound evil now..

(Still glad I don't have one...)

:D

Daniel I

Stunt Coordinator
My Girlfriend is currently holding out on a Rushmore DVD purchase. She really wants the Criterion over the barebones release to match her Royal Tenenbaums release.

This is what she told me the other day.

"Why doesn't everyone get a Front Projector instead of a Projection TV? It sooo much better and for the same price?"

I am a very luck man.

P.S. Shes hot :D

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
well as for hot, ill say this...

she is chinese with big curves, and baby's got back!!!

Sir-Mix-Alot (or however you spell it)

would be all over her....

how many little chinese women do you see with a phat ass???

baby got it in spades...

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Damn... I was out DVD shopping with my new girlfriend this afternoon at CC. She wanted a copy of The Hours and picked up the FS copy. Of course, I pointed this out to her and said she really wanted the WS edition. She asked why and I explained, yadda yadda director's intent, more available picture, etc. She said she hated black bars and didn't care about losing the sides of the picture because "you still get the point of the movie!" Sigh...I'm gonna have to work on her :)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
buy a widescreen tv, then if you get the 4:3 you will get black bars on the side...she'll hate that...

mine wants two tv's, one for both kinds of aspects...but she doesnt want it to take up too much room....im not touching that one...could go projectors i guess...

Rich

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
She said she hated black bars and didn't care about losing the sides of the picture because "you still get the point of the movie!"
Get her a DVD player that allows zooms in playback.

I still can't figure out why all anamorphic DVDs aren't P&S encoded (at least set to the center of the image) for those who refuse to see the light :confused:.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks