What's new

I haven't been this disappointed in years (new 57h81) (1 Viewer)

Brian Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after doing over a year of research on projection TVs, waiting patiently and even more patiently.... my new 57h81 finally arrived today.
I was up half the night worrying if they would be able to get it downstairs or not, due to the fact that there are several very tricky angles to negotiate. But even though there were some major troubles and a few moments where we were ready to admit defeat, it finally made it downstairs and was ready to be plugged in.
After a quick hookup of my DVD player I felt ready to begin the initial warm-up period, but much to my horror, when I clicked the power button.... nothing. Nothing at all. The little red "power" indicator light came on and nothing else. I waited and waited and waited, but... nothing. No sign of power anywhere. After talking to the delivery guys and several people at the local dealer, they scheduled for a tech to come look at the set on Monday.
So basically I'm stuck with a $2,600 doorstop for at least the next two days, not to mention the inconvenience of having to take off of work to wait for "service" to come on Monday. In the meantime, at least the tiny little red "power" light looks very pretty
furious.gif

I can't begin to describe how disappointed I am. Anyway, in lieu of my sob story, the moral of the story is:
If you're going to try and take an RPTV in to a damn near impossible area, such as downstairs, etc., plug it in and test it out first while it's upstairs so you don't have to deal with what I might have to deal with on Monday (getting the old set out and a new one in). Also, buy from a reputable local dealer like I did (ABT Electronics). At least now I feel like I will be able to get the problem resolved some time fairly soon (I can't imagine the horror I might have to face if I had bought it from some on-line "fly by night" company.
Hope my subject header didn't scare too many people into thinking that the 57h81 sucks or anything. I'm sure once I get it working it will be great. But I wanted to warn people what can happen when you think like I did, and say "It'll never happen to me..."

Brian_J

Second Unit
Thats exactly what I thought. The title is a bit of a cliffhanger.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hear that...
It is a bit of a nightmare... to be all excited to get your new set, and then to get a "lemon"... Hopefully it can all be fixed to your satisfaction.
On the bright side, the new Toshibas are great sets. I am really enjoying my 50H81. :)
------------------
View Dr. Grall's DVD collection

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I had a Kenwood reciever that was DOA and it's not a good thing. Like you said look at the silver lining if you had bought over the internet you would now be even unhappier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks