What's new

I have Turok - Is this a good thing? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sorry guys, but I'll be the lone voice of dissent. I am really enjoying Turok: Evolution on the XBOX so far!:D
I am on the fourth chapter and it is exactly what I was expecting. The graphics are the best of any Turok game and the levels are huge, teeming with dinosaurs, animals, butterflies, whatever. The plants move as you move through them. Much better than the last Turok.
The gameplay is fine and the framerate has been smooth so far. No hiccups.
The flying level was a lot of fun once you got use to the controls.
My only complaint is No Center Channel again, save for a few cut scenes. I think I remember BrianB saying this was fixed. Apparently not. Very frustrating.
Apart from that, So far, I am definitely getting my moneys worth!:emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
You don't have to be sorry for liking a game, Tino. Anyone interested in the series should probably give it a rental, but, I seriously advise people not to buy this game from a store with a final sale policy.

I wasn't expecting much, but I got even less than expected. I had numerous instances of where the enemy AI literally just goes to sleep. They're shooting and then all of a sudden they stop. Who knows, maybe they ran out of ammo. Another instance I had an enemy literally running in place in mid-air. He was past a ledge above me with no where to go but down, but he just kept running in place in mid-air. For me, this type of sloppy programming is unacceptable. I've had issues with other FPS like MOH: Frontline, but Frontline positively towers above what I consider truly a hack effort on the part of Acclaim.

So, if you're enjoying this game, Tino, more power to you. I wish I could say the same.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I don't know if this is the same with Turok but, I remember all the complaints about no center channel on Halo, except for Cortana's voice.

That wasn't true.

All one had to do was, look down at the floor as they walked/ran and, "viola", center channel. It was pretty impressive really. As you tilted your head up, your footstep sound smoothly moved to the left and right speakers. I think Bungie did some real hard thinking about it and, it's pretty realistic.

How 'bout Turok? If you look down and move, do you hear your footsteps coming from the center?

JamesH

Supporting Actor
The problem is that they developed this game simultaneously for 3 consoles, and thus built it around the lowest common denominator: the PS2. Since the PS2 is the weakest hardware wise, they had to make sure to design Turok in a way that would work on it, then they ported this design to the other two systems. It actually doesn't look that bad compared to the other PS2 FPS games, especially considering that FPSs are the genre that the PS2 has the roughest time with, but I just don't think the latest Turok can cut it compared to what's on the Xbox and Cube.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Another instance I had an enemy literally running in place in mid-air. He was past a ledge above me with no where to go but down, but he just kept running in place in mid-air.
I have seen the enemy through the scope just run in a circle after being shot. But I have also seens where you go to scope an enemy and he bends down or moves slightly/suddenly so you miss which is kinda cool in itself.
I will say I am past the flying level and the game is getting better. There is a definite hunting feel happening in the game moving around and targeting the enemies as you proceed.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
WHY OH WHY are there no CHECKPOINTS in this game like previous Turok games????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

I LOATHE repeating levels from the very start.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I'm past the flying level as well, but the game is only marginally better. The flying levels are quite sloppily tied together. You'll be flying and the screen will freeze and you go to a loading screen. I believe this occurs 4 separate times. I don't what the developers were thinking, putting in a flying level for this game before it's even had a chance to get going. I can see a lot of people returning Turok after getting frustrated with this level and going WTH!, I thought this was a FPS.

At any rate, I've seen enough atroicious AI in this game and I just can't take it anymore. Arrrggggghhhh!! Latest instances. Shortly after taking out a not very bright T-rex, I hear some explosions down below me. So, I check it out, using the sniper function on my pistol. There's an enemy far, far away lobbing repeatedly grenades at what, I don't know. Apparently the ai detected my presence, but wasn't bright enough to know I couldn't possibly be hit at this range. So, I pick this poor fool off, after all, he was just wasting perfectly good grenades.

I go down below to where he was and I hear shooting that repeats. Did a sniper spot me? No, I'm not being hit. I investigate and go towards the sound of the shooting and behind an outcropping of rock an enemy is firing away. I also put this poor fool out of his misery. The ai, once again detected my presence, how, I don't know, since I wasn't in his sightline and he wasn't close to hitting me with a single shot he took. I could go on and on, but I'm going to leave it be.

I consider Turok to be a hastily and sloppily put together game with little actual care taken to put out a quality product. Just a note to xbox owners, this game takes no advantage of xbox hardware that I could detect, so don't even bother looking for pixel or vertex shading or bump-mapping.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I think it's ridiculous that the enemies detect you from so far away and then continuously repeatedly fire in your direction. This game is quickly becoming utter crap.

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Whew, I'm glad some people agree with me. I was wondering how bad I'd get flamed for ripping on this game. But I simply couldn't stand it. Broken AI, poor graphics, terrible seams breaking up, average control, and no save points... I could go on, but thankfully, won't.

I took it back for Onimusha 2 and find that much, much more enjoyable. I'm sorry to see Turok go downhill like this... I had high hopes.

TF

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
I think the game sucks big time. We've played a multiplayer map (one on one) and noticed absolutely atrocious slow downs. Whenever I shoot the shotgun, the game skips half a second (it's as bad as playing on the web with a slow PC.

The graphics are kinda blurry, and I found the weapons lack a bit of punch (compared to Halo at least). I think the weapon were better in the first Turok! A lot better!

The controls are OK, though. Didn't really like the flying parts either, though, that's my problem.

I'm REALLY glad I rented that one.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Oh man...all these bad reviews. Everything you've guys said are things that absolutely drive me crazy with games and makes me hate them. Glad I didn't pick it up. Just read about Onimusha 2 and it looks pretty cool...guess I'll search for reviews on that.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I bought the new TUROK game for XBOX.
Real soon I'll be trading it in for SEGA GT 2002...'nuff said.

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, I traded Turok for Onimusha, it was well worth it. Onimusha is outstanding. If you played the 1st, you must get the 2nd.

TF

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm still having a ton of fun playing Turok on the XBOX!
The graphics get better as you go along, as do the weapons. And it is challenging as well. The enemy AI is good. They are constantly bobbing and weaving, making it very difficult to pick them off. Sure there are some minor glitches and problems but nothing glaring.
This game is everything I was expecting from a Turok game. Great graphics, tons of enemies, huge levels, lots of blood and plenty of dinosaur hunting.
Well worth it, IMO. I can't believe I'm the only one loving this game!:eek:
Oh well...

Joe michaels

Second Unit
From what I have read on this board you like alot of variety of games and I have seen you reply to other threads where you like games that others don't. WTF kind of response is this? Mods???

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jerry
How it goin' pal? Get married yet?:) I'm curious Jerry, what didn't you like about Turok? You and I usually agree on games I believe.
See you at the Loews.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The Gamepot review of the XBOX version of Turok Evolution s up at www.gamespot.com and it received a 7.3 "Good" review.
Some of the comments were that of all three versions, the XBOX version is graphically the best, head and shoulders above the PS2 version and slightly better than the Gamecube version.
Gameplay is basically the same as other Turok games, with the single player game broken up into 15 chapters, each with sub level check points which is a nice welcome addition.
The multiplayer levels are also a lot of fun according to the reviewer.
He says the framerate is a bit better in the Gamecube version, but is never bad enough in the XBOX version to notice, although I have noticed a few instances of slowdown.
The enemy AI is hit and miss, wich I also agree with having played it a lot more. They can be really tough one minute and incredibly stupid the next.
Overall he says if you are a fan of the series you will like this one, especially on the XBOX.
Well, there you have it.:)

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I'm going to go with the brief encapsulated gameplay summary from IGN's review of Turok for the ps2, which applies equally well to the xbox version I played.

Gameplay
Tired game design, boring, often linear missions, and some erratic dumb-ass AI hurt this game big time. The flying additions are neither great not horrible, they're just there.

Well that about sums up Turok for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks