I have Turok - Is this a good thing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Fudold, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Tom Fudold

Tom Fudold Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

Well, it's been an expensive few days. Socom, Ps2 Adapter, and now Turok (the Xbox Version).

I have only played for about 90 minutes, so I can't really give this a fair review, but I must say, first impressions... are not great.

I am very disappointed in the gameplay, the graphics, and the 5.1 is nothing to get excited about. The controls, aren't bad... the problem with Halo being so good, is nothing seems to compare.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone else has played this yet... do you like it? Perhaps it will get better soon, but the first few chapters, which include flyings, are rather boring so far. I had very high hopes for this.

Tom

2. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

I didn't think Turok was out until this Sunday (weren't they calling it Turok bloody Sunday or something like that?)

3. Tom Fudold

You are correct, but check your stores, it shipped early, the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox version were all at my EB today.

I played some more... the flying stage is LONG... and actually a bit better. Maybe this game will become a hit as you get further... but I must say, that first chapter was the pits.

Here's to hoping it gets even better. I look forward to hearing what other people think.

Tom

4. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

How is the multi-player part? Is it system-link (wishfull thinking...)? Thanks

5. Tom Fudold

Jared, nope, it's split-screen. No link. No bots. I think Acclaim spread themselves too thin doing this for 3 platforms.

T.

6. GeoffL

GeoffL Auditioning

Can you play Turok on Co-op?

I've been reading up on Turok, says you can do deathmatch, CTF, etc multiplayer, but never says that the game can be played on co-op.

GeoffL

7. Tom Fudold

Geoff, no Co-op, that would have been great. I am now on Chapter 3, and things are picking up nicely.

Once you get the pistol and add the sniper scope... well, nothing improves a game like taking off an enemies head from across the level. Now, I'm enjoying this.

TF

8. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

Tom, I bought Turok for the Cube, I could have waited for the XBOX version but I thought it would be tradition to play a Turok game on Nintendo hardware. Like you I have barely played and my initial reaction was dissapointment.
    The graphics seem a bit week and there are graphical problems when you come up real close to things such as being able to see thru them, pop in etc.
    And the other rhing is this doesn't 'feel' like a Turok game.
    Where is the health when you kill certain animals, where are the time portals? I dunno, maybe as I play more.

I do think the various dinsaurs in the game are cool and the levels are pretty big.

9. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

I've just started playing, and I must say that the Pro-logic II on the 'cube version is absolutley fantastic!

Marc.

10. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Hmmm ... sounds like I need to rent this first before I make the decision to buy. I was looking forward to this game, too [​IMG] ...
    Freddy C.

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I still wanna know if the Xbox version is the best looking and sounding one. If anyone can do comparisons please share.

12. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I just picked it up myself (decided I was going bto buy this one instead of rent). It is so-so but I am only in the 1st chapter. Controls are avg, sound and video is decent. It isn't HALO for sure. I am working my way up to the 3rd chapter to see if it starts getting good like Tom posted. Damn, I really have to stop buying and just rent 1st. Altho this one seems decent and only cost me @7 out of my pocket cause my GF had a Toysrus gift card.

13. Tom Fudold

Hi guys, I can only assume this, but I would think the Xbox is the better looking of them... and the sad thing is, it's pretty plain. As far as I can tell, I can see NO bumpmapping, NO pixel shading, NOTHING that makes this stand out as and Xbox game. I'm very disappointed. I got to Chapter 4, and that was all I needed to see. I returned the game today in exchange for Onimusha 2.
    Mike, did you enjoy the 3rd level more than the rest? I actually noticed slowdown on that level! Also, during the flying stage, there were times when the rocks blocking the entrance to the command huts, weren't even there. You could hear them falling, and the girl tell you to watch out, but they weren't on the screen! The dinos below, that were supposed to have been caught in the rock slide, they would just disappeared as well at times.
    Bottom line, I don't think this game was ready for release. I hope everyone who bought it enjoys it, but I didn't [​IMG]
    TF

14. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

From a Gamespot preview of the game:
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...876832,00.html
    "The environments don't look entirely lifelike. The textures and level architecture are pretty simple, and the levels themselves seem to be quite small. So don't expect a Halo killer here. We spotted scarce few details that seemed to take advantage of the powerful graphical features exclusive to the Xbox, leading us to suspect that Turok: Evolution was designed for three different consoles' lowest common denominator ...
    "It will be interesting to see to what extent the game will be optimized before its release, since the frame rate apparently still needs work. Some of the graphics, including some of the weapon models and character models, do appear rather simple, so certainly the Xbox version of this game should be able to run at a nice, brisk pace. The loading times between levels could also stand to be shorter. Additionally, the audio in Turok: Evolution probably could use some work. Some sounds seem relatively oversampled, such as the loud footstep noises of the main character, while other sounds seem rather flat ... "
    "Turok: Evolution is scheduled to ship in just a matter of weeks for all three consoles. Though the version we've been playing certainly isn't finished, it's relatively close, which leaves us wondering whether the finished product will manage to live up to the high expectations that fans of the series have and that the game's publisher has helped foster."
    Guess how they end this preview? They say the "odds for the game, do look pretty good," - exactly the opposite of everything they've been saying up to that point!
    I for one, was looking forward to this, so I am disapointed.
    I feel like Xbox owners are getting the shaft when it comes to games optimized for their console.

15. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I got stuck on the 3 part of chapter 1 when you have to get the allied pilot on top of the cliff ( I havent been able to get all the way up yet, syck near rthe top between 2 mountain tops and cant figure out how to go up or across yet. Game is just so-so. WIll have to ebay it when I am finished ;-(

16. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

Basically, Mikey, if you're stuck in Chapter 1 look around for some badly rendered vines on the walls to climb up. This game is one big festering pile of dino crap so far. Oh, man, usually I can complain about the bad enemy AI in a game like this, but there isn't any enemy AI here that I could detect.

This game looks like it was designed using left-over graphic tools from their n64 days. I had to shut the music off because it just kept repeating. Acclaim has released this game early, I fear, to keep ahead of a slew of negative reviews, that are almost certainly coming. I only rented Turkey Evolution, but I still feel ripped off. Oh, well, I had to rent something, it's the end of the month, and I needed one more rental to get my free one. Hope some of you guys enjoyed this game more than I did.

17. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

18. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Very disappointing that so many years of work from Acclaim result in a title far below expectations.

The Turok franchise was an excellent one on the N64, simply because the development team concentrated on one console. The Xbox or GameCube would have been good consoles for a Turok Evolution exclusive; hopefully the game sells so poorly that Acclaim realizes this.

And I'm interested to see how IGN scores this title; especially with all the buddy-buddy developers diaries they've done with Acclaim's cooperation for past and current Turok titles.

19. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

As odd as this might sound, I actually think that the series peaked with the first game.

Sure the graphics looked blurry with repetitious textures and overly excessive fogging. But the game ran at a (nearly) constant 30 fps and the control was tight and responsive. After spening well over a year anticipating the second title, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, I found myself disappointed. The graphics certainly were a step up from the original, but the game ran at an inexcusable, choppy framerate. Furthermore, the smooth control had been replaced by a cumbersome, sluggish feel that never felt natural. The third game didn't improve too much upon this.

Now we have Turok: Evolution. I had hoped that this game would save the series and restore it to the luster of the original, but reading these comments gives me little hope that this will happen. I will have to rent it to know for sure, but the way things have been going with our favorite Dinosaur Hunter, I sincerely doubt it.

20. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Maybe the series should become extinct like Turok's dinosaur foes. I have a feeling there may be a lot of gamers who spent $50 and wish it already had.
    In light of the reviews as to the latest version's quality, Acclaim's attempts to provide PR for the game (name your baby Turok, win $10,000, etc) are starting to look like acts of desperation. What's maddening is the fact that they don't seem to care about the quality of the final product, but they'll probably end up selling a ton of them anyway.