I have too many Black Widows

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mitch Stevens, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Hi Guys,

About one week ago, I was in my kitchen, and I noticed, next to the door was a GIANT black-widow spider. It was male, and I immediately killed it using Raid. After that, I was so paranoid, (keep in mind, that I'm SOOOOOO terrified of spiders that I can't even look at one in a magazine, let alone the real thing. I feel like passing out, as soon as I see one in real life) that I searched very carefully through the rest of my kitchen, through every crack, every little space, and found no more of them.

Well, two days later, I found another male black-widow spider close to the door (very close to where I had found the previous one before) and needless to say, I also used the Raid spray on it.

Now today, I found a GIANT female black-widow spider (with the hour-glass on it's stomach) very close to the door in my kitchen. That one too got to feel the wrath of Raid.

I NEED HELP! I am deathly terrified of spiders....EVEN DADDY-LONG LEGS! These black widows are going to make me have a heart attack! How can I find where they are coming from, and how do I get rid of the nest? There must be a nest of them somewhere around here, since they are all the same GIANT size. Why are they showing up in my kitchen, of all places?

One very bit of important detail is, that under the kitchen door, there is a 2" hole. Or to better describe it, the door doesn't entirely reach the floor, it's 2" away from the floor. My suspicion is that these horrible creatures are crawling their way under the door and into my kitchen. The door leads to the back yard. I've carefully look EVERYWHERE around the house, but I don't see where they could be hiding.

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I wouldn't go snooping around trying to find them. Call in an exterminator.

Stefan

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

4. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Get your door fixed. That should help. I get black widows in the garage on occasion, and I think I had one nestled in the grill under my fireplace, but I didn't see it clearly. From what I've observed black widow webs are rather chaotic and have no pattern, so if you see what is essientially a jumble of web, that could belong to one of them.

The spray I use is supposed to keep spiders from returning to that spot for at least a few weeks. I'd recommend that you get some spray like that and spray all around that opening in the door, inside and out, that should keep them at bay for a bit.

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

7. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I have a black widow problem due to my backyard pond. Just yesterday, I was cleaning the pond and almost came in contact with one.

Keith, what's the spray that you use?

~T

8. Keith Mickunas

It's called "Hot Shot Spider Killer" and claims to keep killing for up to four months. I've not had a black widow return to the same spot for quite some time after using it, and it does kill them pretty quickly.

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

10. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

We use Ortho's perimiter spray. We sprayed it on the base of the house up into the siding and had a TON of black widow spiders fall out and die. It's supposed to be effective for a few months. No problems since for us.

Jason

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I don't know what spiders we have in our house, but they are not very likely dangerous. I never kill spiders because they eat bugs. I kill bugs though because they bite me. Black widow spiders might be a problem though. You should try to seal your house from intruding spiders.

12. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

13. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I always thought that male black widows were about 1/4 the size of the females. I also believe the males are harmless (which is of no comfort to arachnophobes such as my wife).

14. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I think spiders are cute. [​IMG] I try not to kill em because they can help take care of other insect problems in the house. I especially love when they hang out by the porch light, it's like a natural bug zapper.

But yea black widows are a different story. I saw one recently in a freind's house and we promptly killed it with a textbook. That classy red hourglass looks beautiful but striked us with fear at the same time, with it being right in the house and all.

15. Keith Mickunas

16. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Are spiders really an effective way to control insects ?

We have a ton of spider webs around the house, but still have an insane amount of bugs (live on a heavily wooded lot). There was an especially large web with an especially large spider in it that I let hang out for a few weeks. I swear I didn't see one bug get caught in his web.... Perhaps he had a bad upbringing and was rebelling against his nature.

Anyhow.... just seems like the ratio of "insects caught by webs" vs. "insects surviving to bug humans" is a little skewed (unless you have a LOT of spider webs, but that would probably mean you live alone...).

17. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Along with bats, mantids, dragonflies, ladybugs, rats, snakes, frogs, and other animals, it certainly can help alot with pest insects. If you cut these out of the food chain, i bet you'd see a huge surge in the pest insect population.

Kirk: You probably didn't see any insects or other bugs on it because the spider ate them before you noticed the prey got caught on the web. Spiders can be quick at devouring their prey.

18. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

20. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"After it was off him his face turned real red and he continued to scream at everyone for laughing and continued to cry like someone had just shot his brother. We were all a little shocked..."

Irrational phobias can be VERY VERY serious for the person having them. You should have just shot him in the foot and saved him the embarassment. Just something to keep in mind. [​IMG]

I have unfortunately been the victim of pranks like this as I am afraid of spiders. Fortunatley I have forced myself to rid the phobia(by using logic and watching Arachnophobia) and have had great success in dealing with the phobia. I just get the GIANT can of raid and spray away. I still get FREAKED out when I see someting move on the wall especially if it is dark. That is really the ONLY thing that I am afraid of. Snakes, other bugs, etc don't phase me one bit.