I have some questions about remotes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Feb 12, 2003.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

This is my first venture to this section of the forum, so Hi to anyone i dont know.

I am finally starting to get sick and tired of remotes.....

my set up includes toshiba 36HFX71 tv, a sony vcr, currently a sony strde445 receiver, and a PS2, int he next few weeks im goign to be upgrading my receiver probably to a yamaha rx-v1300 and im gettign a yamaha S2300 dvd player.

this is going to give me way too many remotes. i use my tv remote for just about everything, but it has some problems, i cant change inputs on my receiver with it, though i can do just about everythign else, and i cant program my vcr to record things. what can i do about this?

also I have ehard fo learning remotes, infact i have ehard the one for my tv is such a remote. what does this mean? how elarning capable is it? will one of the remotes for my soon to come equipment solve my problems? or will i always be stuck with 2 or 3 floating around?

the biggest problem is all of them will control the most basic functions of the others, but not the important ones.

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

John,

I am not familiar with the remote for your TV, however, here is a simple definition:

A learning remote has the ability to read and store the IR (Infra Red) signals (or codes, if you will) from another IR Remote.

For example, you could select a button on your TV Remote (if it is in fact a learning remote) to 'learn' the FF key on your VCR. You would do this for the amount of buttons you require to operate your VCR from your TV's remote. Similarly you would 'learn' your other remotes codes into your TV's remote. There are certain limitations depending on the remote.

Might I suggest going here:
    http://www.remotecentral.com
    and wander around there for a bit. Another option is to purchase a different Remote that you can learn 10 or more devices into. Some of the units at Radio Shack can learn up to 6 or 8 devices (prices around 80 CDN), and companies like Universal Remote make units that learn 10 or more devices (125 and up USD).

I purchased 1 Remote unit that replaced the following remotes:
    TV, VCR, DVD, Cable Box, Receiver, 200 CD Player, and it still has room for 4 more devices.

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the input, i will have to check into my remotes a little more, i know for a fact that the remote comming with my new receiver is a learning remote, but I am going to try to find out if its possible to upgrade my remote to a better one, the Yamaha RX Z1 is supposed to ahve a really sweet one

barring that im considering picking up one of those sony lcd touch screen ones, i think they are about 150-200 canadian