What's new

I have some cd player questions (1 Viewer)

Mike__

Auditioning
okay, this might be a long post. there are a few things i want to know. first of all, i have a panasonic discman as my cd source unit in my home stereo. here are my questions
1) im into car audio (not just so i can play loud rap music and bother people when i drive by) and i know that some cd decks have 24 bit D/A converters. do they make home cd players that have higher than 1 bit D/A converters?
2) if they do, would that make a big improvement compared to a cd player that had only 1 bit D/A converters? what's the difference in sound quality?
3) if they do make them, how much do they cost? are there reasonably priced ones (like around 200 bucks) or do u have to get into like over 300 bucks for a good one? what brands make good cd players with higher than 1 bit DA converters, what would u guys reccommend to me? is it worth buying one or what?
thanks for the help guys.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, there has been some debate on this topic on various message boards in the past. Some home CD players have 20- or 24-bit DACs. In general, don't base your decision on a CD player on the quantization (bit) spec of the DAC. Just because a player has a 24-bit DAC does not mean it will be better than a 1-bit unit. The quantization spec. says nothing about the quality of the DAC, the analog output stage, power supply, or transport mechanism, all of which contribute to the sound quality observed.
In looking at new CD players, you generally won't get anything too good for $200. At $250-350, you have a good selection of quality single-disc players and carousel changers to consider, mostly carousel changers. They aren't the be all to end all, but they are good. A good single-disc player in the price range is the NAD C 521. Quality carousel changers include the Sony CDP-CA70ES, Marantz CC4000, NAD 523, and Denon DCM-370. I have the Denon, and it's a great changer for $250-300 (I paid $250). It has a 20-bit Burr-Brown DAC, for what it's worth.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Mike__

Auditioning
ive heard good stuff about denon equipment. how much of a difference do u think the denon would make if i replaced my discman with it? did u buy yours online or what? do you know where i could get one for a good price? i dont the money now but i could start saving up (im a kid, 17 years old).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, the Denon DCM-370 is a better player than a Discman for home use. However, whether or not you experience an improvement in moving to the Denon depends on the quality of your speakers and amp. What amp and speakers are you using? I bought my '370 from a brick and mortar store in New Jersey for $250. You should be able to find it in your area for $250 to $300 ($300 is the common street price). It is also possible to order Denon from some dealers by mail, but Denon does not authorize mail-order sales (Denon states this on their web site). So, Denon could give you a hard time if you needed a repair after buying the player by mail from an unauthorized dealer. Something to think about.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Mike__

Auditioning
i like to think that i have good quality stuff. i have JBL S26s hooked up to my old pioneer SX-780 that puts out a good clean 100 watts. i have an kenwood eq that i dont use on anything except for really bad recordings. i really love my pioneer receiver, that thing blows away anything ive heard and i got it for 70 bucks. the S26s, im very happy with them, the bass isnt sub quality but it's good for my little room and gets plenty for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks