I have seen Widescreen TV...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jan 3, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

and have developed a craving for it.
    A freind of mine recently upgraded to a 16X9 TV, so for their Christmas party, I brought over a choice of two DVD's to test it out. Back to the Future, and Episode 2. I really wanted to try the latter, but they chose BTTF. So, we popped it in, filled up the entire screen as expected since it was an anomorphic title(just grabbed it and forgot to look at the back when I left), and this is a much better way to watch movies.
    This model apparently automatically stretches the picture, either that, or they had it set to do that. Some of the extra features where a bit weird looking, but it wasn't too unbearable to watch.
    Anyone have $3,000's so I can buy one of these babies? [​IMG] . The only thing they where missing was the surround sound system.

2. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

I want one too, a friend of mine has one, I watche Jackie Brown on it and it lloked like a new movie at was so big. I have a 35" 4:3 TV

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Bruce is correct. A dvd that is anamaphorically enchanced will provide 33% greater resolution when displayed on a 16x9 tv when in Full mode. 1.85 aspect ratio movies may display small bars, or none depending on the tv's amount of overscan. 2.35 ratio movies, such as Episode 2, will still result in black bars, although much smaller than they would be on a 4x3 TV.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

7. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

The letterboxed, non-anamorphic DVDs will indeed fill the screen, or can be made to do so, but you're only getting the middle group of lines, so they don't have the quality of an anamorphic transfer.

Jan

8. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Neil,

I know all about that craving! I finally satisfied it a month ago and bought a 53" widesreen. It's like I'm watching my movie collection for the first time!

Ric

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    There's no difference between letterbox and anamorphic on my old (analog) Toshiba widescreen set. I know from doing a/b comparisons between LDs and more recent DVD editions of the same film. With overscan there is no difference between 1.85:1 letterbox and 1.85:1 anamorphic. And of course the zoomed letterbox mode is lower resolution than anamorphic, that's why anamorphic exists. [​IMG] My point was just that the fact that the screen is filled on a widescreen set is not necessarily a function of the disc's being anamorphic.
    Regards,
    Joe

11. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Brian's right I have the same set. I know that it overscans a bit because even with 1.85:1 you would get very thin black bars... But I have not noticed anything seeming misframed and do not feel that I am missing any of the picture. In other words... It's close enough to OAR...and man, that picture is sweet!

Ric