I have no idea what I'm doing, what's a good TV for $2000-2800?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I have no idea about any of the TV business, I am usually an audio only person, so my HT setup consists of great sound and a small 27" toshiba TV, but I decided I should go ahead and look into some nice TV's. I had heard that Mitsubishi makes some really good TV's, I guess I am looking for something that is HD-ready? If someone could please explain to me the difference between an HD-ready TV and an HDTV? I looked at some Sony Wega's, the 36" and their XBR series. What other companies are out there, I just want a good clear image, I would basically only be running DVD off of it except for cable TV, not satelite TV or anything fancy. I really like the look of hte Mitsubishi's though, can anyone tell me where to find the MSRP of those things? Also, it seems like the most convinient Mitsu dealer by me is Sears, can I expect a discount off of MSRP from them? I'm not really sure what my budget is right now since I don't know how good, good is and how much I should spend. I would of course prefer to spend about $1k, but I decided if the extra $1-2k makes a big difference I am willing to go a little further for this one, any help would be great, thanx.

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Kyle-

How big do you want to go? Are you looking for a larger size set, or one similar in size to the one that you have?

Mits makes great sets, and there is a considerable quality difference (as far as RPTVs are concerned) from $1000 to $3000.

HDTV: has an HD tuner built into the set for receiving over-the-airwaves high definition broadcasts

HD-ready: same as above but needs a seperate hi-def tuner/satelite receiver to pull in the HD content.

Be careful as almost ALL "HDTVs" are actually HD-ready; very few makers include the tuners in the sets. You generally save money by getting an HD-ready TV and adding an HDTV tuner/sat box later.

3. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Well, if I was to buy a Sony Wega I would probably go with a 36" XBR TV and if I was going the Mitsu way I would probably go with a 55" Platinum series or Platinum series Plus TV. Would the Mitsu have a better picture or would it just be bigger? I just want a better picture, although I am siding with the Mitsu right now. Also, what about Mitsu regular analog projection TV's like hte silver and gold series, arethey good too, because I'm not sure if I need an HD-ready TV. I do not have a progressive scan DVD player, although now that I think of it, it may be a good investment, does the picture of a progressive scan pickup make a world of a difference?