I have no fingernails left because...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Moe Maishlish, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

... I've been watching the DVD Boxed Set of 24.
    Whoa!!!
    I'm kicking myself for not having bought this sooner. When I initially caught the promos for this show last year I dismissed it as just another boring cop/political themed drama.
    Boy oh boy was I wrong! I've watched the first 3 episodes, and I'm absolutely blown away!
    I picked up this set today based on word of mouth, having ignored the series last year while it was on TV. Talk about suspenseful. I never thought this series could be so fast, riveting, and suspenseful.
    I've finished watching the first 3 episodes, and will finish the fourth tonight, thereby completing the first DVD. I wish I had a couple of days to sit down and watch the entire thing in it's entirety.
    Moe.

2. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Moe, I'm surprised you haven't been spoiled on this series. It's quite a ride, so enjoy it.
    You may not want to check up on this thread until you're done with the series, because someone may casually come in here and mention that the circus clown is revealed to be the mastermind in the final episode. [​IMG]
    (...or something like that - know what I mean?)
    On the other hand, if you make a plea for no spoilers, I'm sure we're all adult enough to comply.
    Have fun, and wear some gloves, why don't you!

3. Moe Maishlish

Thanks for the heads up Brian.
    Ok everyone, please please PLEASE, no Spoilers! [​IMG]
    (Just finished episode 4 on the 1st Disc... on to Disc 2.)
    Moe.

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

This set has me intrigued and I haven't seen a single episode yet.
    Questions...
    1) is it widescreen even though on TV it was 4x3?
    2) DD 5.1 sound or 2.0?
    3) How are the extras?
    Thanks. I probably could get these answers through the review thread, but I'm a little lazy tonight[​IMG]

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

It is anamorphic widescreen, and it does not look cropped in that format, I'm pretty sure it was filmed that way.
    I did catch a little of an episode on norwegian television after seeing the DVD set through, and the 4:3 image on TV did look cropped, as well as the sequences with more than one picture onscreen was letterboxed.

All in all, it is widescreen on DVD, and probably this is the intended format.

Can't remember the sound format...

Extras pretty much none - can only remember a season 2 intro at the moment..

6. Moe Maishlish

Evan,

It's an anamorphic widescreen image (although I don't have an anamorphic capable set, this is what I've read). Soundwise, it decodes on as Dolby Surround, and is pretty darned good.

As for extras, I haven't gotten that far yet. But I'll tell you, the best feature on this set is the show itself. Unreal!

Moe.

7. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

I got this set for Christmas, and my wife and I were finished watching it on Dec. 30. We watched the last 10 episodes that day alone.

If you've never watched the first season, get off the computer and go buy it NOW.

8. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Yep, I too dismissed it initially on TV, but I couldn't pass up a Best Buy deal and once I started watching I had to force myselt to quit at 4-5 episodes a day, since I DID have to go to work the next morning. Excellent TV. I'm waiting for Day 2 to come out on DVD, since there's no way in hell I could wait a week between episodes now.

9. Moe Maishlish

David,

I agree... when I'm done with this set, I probably won't try and catch Season 2 on TV and would rather opt for the boxed set instead.

The way I'm watching this right now, I can barely contain my anxiousness for each episode. I can't imagine waiting 7 days to find out what happens next...

Moe.

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I borrowed season 1 from a coworker...very entertaining. And IMHO, season 2 is even better!

11. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I too received this for Christmas. I LOVED IT! Plain and simple. I can't wait for Season 2 on DVD.

12. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Awesome show. The 2nd season is at least as good, too.

Also, it is filmed in widescreen; the Fox broadcasts are indeed cropped. The DVD set was kind of hurried; I wish there were chapter stops and a few more extras, but the audio/video quality of the episodes is pretty impressive.

Glad to hear you've gotten into the series, Moe. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

13. Moe Maishlish

One disc left to go, and I'm on the edge of my seat as to what happens next! I'm lucky I don't have any kind of heart condition, 'cause this should could give me a coronary! [​IMG]
    I'll be buying season 2 they day it hits shelves.
    One simple improvment that I could recommend for these sets would be a "play all" feature that would play each episode consecutively instead of having to select them from the menu. Other than that, I'm very impressed.
    Moe.

14. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

I watched the first episode on TV and took the "eeh, it's OK" then proceeded to miss the next 23 episodes. I heard good things as had my wife, so we got the Box set using a 10% coupon form BB.

We watched the first episode and we're like "eeh, it's OK", but after the second episode we were hooked like crack addicts. It was horrible. I think we watched the whole season in 4 or 5 sittings.

The plan for me too is to avoid the second season like the plague untill the box set, then just binge away.

I have heard a couple spoilers for the second season
    Damn you, TV Guide!!!

But other than that the plan is going well.
    enjoy the ride.

15. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

I'm so jealous of you guys who get to watch the first season on DVD, commercial free, one after another!

Us early fans had to watch season one with commercials one week at a time!

I bought the box set when it came out and will watch it once the rollercoaster ride of season two is over.

Season two is as good if not better then season one. I hope it gets the same DVD treatment.

Here's a thought...Who would win in a fight...Jack Bauer or Fox Mulder?

16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Draw...aliens would abduct Mulder at the last minute! [​IMG]
    Anyhow, I was very impressed by the DVD transfer of the 1st season DVD set. Watching season two is somewhat painful, because the show is obviously composed for widescreen.

17. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I have been avoiding this thread, cuz I thought it was more complaining about security labels on DVDs!

This was and still is one of my favorite TV series. I watched it during the initial broadcast, and had to suffer through many a week (or several) to see the cliffhangers resolved! Yer a lucky dog, Moe!

I am now suffering thru the cliffhangers of the present season!

Ric