I have my Marantz 6300: Now a few questions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Miles

Miles Second Unit

So far I'm really impressed by the receiver. I've been playing a few DTS-ES movies which I have... Stargate, E.T, LOTR. Sometimes, like w/ ET on the Auto setting it didn't pick-up DTS-ES... and the light for the rear-center speaker didn't light up? Is it better to use the ES/EX setting instead of the Auto setting?

Also, the volume of this receiver seems quite low compared to my previous one. I have to get to about -10dB before I get reasonable amounts of volume... did someone here suggest setting the receiver to a given volume and then try to achieve a given dB level in each speaker with the Radio Shack SPL meter?

So far so good though....

Miles

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Yes, you should definately calibrate your speakers with an SPL meter. FWIW, I typically listen to movies at about -12 to -18 and Music at about -10.
    Here's a link on calibrating for you.

3. Henrik T

Henrik T Auditioning

What's the max setting on these models?
    I have a smaller and older 4200, and it can go somewhat beyond 0 dB: (if I remember right) with subwoofer set to on +5dB is the max, and set to off it can reach +15 dB - but with so much noise, that it really does not worth it.
    I found the CD listening levels heavily depend on the discs themselves: some are loud enough at -15-10 dB but some only around 0 dB.
    With films, I usually don't go over -10 (but it's partly because of me wife [​IMG]

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

This means your receivers aer not calibrated to reference. -10 on any, and all AV receivers should output exactly the same volume on any given disk, assuming the receiver is capable of driving speakers x at that volume, and is calibrated correctly. Also, perceived volume may not be the same as actual volume. Im my experience, worse units sound louder, because they are bright, which *may* be an issue in terms of impact. My marantz has a very smooth sound, which is great for music, but depending on your taste, may limit impact in HT. I tend to like it.