What's new

I have my Marantz 6300: Now a few questions? (1 Viewer)

Miles

Second Unit
So far I'm really impressed by the receiver. I've been playing a few DTS-ES movies which I have... Stargate, E.T, LOTR. Sometimes, like w/ ET on the Auto setting it didn't pick-up DTS-ES... and the light for the rear-center speaker didn't light up? Is it better to use the ES/EX setting instead of the Auto setting?

Also, the volume of this receiver seems quite low compared to my previous one. I have to get to about -10dB before I get reasonable amounts of volume... did someone here suggest setting the receiver to a given volume and then try to achieve a given dB level in each speaker with the Radio Shack SPL meter?

So far so good though....

Miles

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Yes, you should definately calibrate your speakers with an SPL meter. FWIW, I typically listen to movies at about -12 to -18 and Music at about -10.
Link Removed on calibrating for you.

Henrik T

Auditioning
What's the max setting on these models?
I have a smaller and older 4200, and it can go somewhat beyond 0 dB: (if I remember right) with subwoofer set to on +5dB is the max, and set to off it can reach +15 dB - but with so much noise, that it really does not worth it.
I found the CD listening levels heavily depend on the discs themselves: some are loud enough at -15-10 dB but some only around 0 dB.
With films, I usually don't go over -10 (but it's partly because of me wife :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

This means your receivers aer not calibrated to reference. -10 on any, and all AV receivers should output exactly the same volume on any given disk, assuming the receiver is capable of driving speakers x at that volume, and is calibrated correctly. Also, perceived volume may not be the same as actual volume. Im my experience, worse units sound louder, because they are bright, which *may* be an issue in terms of impact. My marantz has a very smooth sound, which is great for music, but depending on your taste, may limit impact in HT. I tend to like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.