What's new

I have MTX Thunder 9500 car competition series subs... want to use in Home Speakers (1 Viewer)

tintino

Auditioning
Real Name
tino tino
I have an original MTX tuned box (SledgeHammer ) with 2 MTX 9500 subs in it...
This thing retails for like $3000+ for the enclosure and the 2 subs....

They are 4 ohms though... and i know in home theather i need 8 ohms.

I was thinking of selling the MTX box, but it weights 200 lbs and have no idea where to sell it.. i guess i can't sell it on ebay cuz i can't ship 200 lbs.

If somebody wants to come pick this MTX box up.. i live in NE Philly, and you have to come in person and pick it up... it's way too heavy... .. i want like $500 for the whole thing...
- the MTX9500 sells for $500 EACH ...on ebay (new)...
- and the enclosure sells for $800

Can someone advise me what should i do..

Can i use it for my home system ?
It's just sitting there doing nothing, cuz i don't have any motivation or money to put it in my new Pathfinder (the Pathfinder has everything integrated in center console and i think it would be a pain to install audio system in it)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Even if you used this for HT, you will still need a decent amp to drive it. I would suggest selling it and buying a sub made for HT. For $1500 you can get the top of the line SVS with an amp already built in. If you sold it for $3K, get 2.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you can post the driver's Theile/Small parameters then we can start looking at building a proper home enclosure. About 75% of "car audio" subs will work in the home.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
I'm assuming these are 12"? If so I got the parameters off of MTX's website and it looks like with two 4" ports 15" long in a 6 cubic foot box tuned to 25HZ you have flat response to about 23HZ. Not the best home theater sub on earth but would probably be indestructible and insanely loud.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Brandon3212

Not the best home theater sub on earth but would probably be indestructible and insanely loud.
But you don't want insanely loud. You want balanced with the rest of the system.

Are these those massive SPL subs with 4" voice coils? If so, did you factor inductance into your simulations? That makes a huge difference.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
did you factor inductance into your simulations?

No sorry I didnt, I am fairly new to WIN ISD Pro, just thought it might help. My point is that even though they are massive SPL subs, using them is better than having no subs at all. Thats my opinion anyway.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Depends on the sub. My subs have 3" voice coils with 60mm of winding so they have a very high inductance. My sub gave me a really boomy bass before adding an EQ to level out the response. My speakers are capable of playing down into the 40hz region so they had a nice, flat bass response lower than my sub. But after adding an EQ, I have great bass down to 17hz. It all depends on how much effort someone wants to put into a sub.

WinISD doesn't factor in inductance. That's why I use Unibox.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
WinISD doesn't factor in inductance. That's why I use Unibox
I will have to try that one, I wouldn't mind modeling my subwoofer just to see the difference between it and WIN ISD Pro. Anyway I would still use the MTX woofers even if they are not ideal. some people want nice even sound, while others want subs that sound like there going to jump out of there cabinets and kill the nabours, it all depends on the listener and what he thinks is "good sound".

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Brandon,

We strive to get our sound as close as we can to the original mixing room. Our goal is to reproduce the soundtrack as the director intended it. That means flat bass and as low as we can get it. We typically consider boomy, overbearing bass a bad thing.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with doing it how you want it. I just wanted to point out the purpose of this forum (and the kind of help you are likely to get).

From the FAQ:

What is Home Theater Forum?

The Home Theater Forum is a place where those who enjoy watching movies in their homes can discuss all aspects of (re-)presenting films the best way they can. These discussions concern the film art itself, its products as well as the technical ways to create a theater-like experience inside a home. We the members of the forum are interested in the film product to be recorded and reproduced as closely as possible to the way the original creator(s) of that particular film intended. We respect the integrity of all artists involved in creating the original film as well as those who helped bringing the product to a form suited to be used in a home theater environment. The main goals of the discussions on the Home Theater Forum are to learn and to share: to learn more about the cinematographic art-form and the best techniques to present the films, and to share our knowledge with anyone who sincerely wants to benefit from the knowledge of his or her fellow members. Learn more about Home Theater Forum!

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
We typically consider boomy, overbearing bass a bad thing.
I completely agree with you. I also like my system to sound as close as possible to original, all I'm trying to do is point out how to make the best of the situation at hand which in this case involves two very high volume SPL subs that will likely never play anywhere close to the original studio mix. This is what the guy has and I think we should do whatever we can to help get the best sound out of these less than perfect (for the application) subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks