i have got this kind of blue screen of death, please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jan 6, 2003.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Gee, that's a neat one! (Sorry for the sarcasm) I have to assume that yours is not under warranty.

What it is saying is that your 'C' drive won't run correctly. If it won't run, nothing will work, but you knew that.

If you have one or can get a hold of one, get a Windows boot disk and load it up. It won't matter which version. Boot up for no CD support.

Either on the A drive or the ram drive that the boot disk creates is a file called fdisk.exe. Type in fdisk/mbr and hit return. This will put a fresh copy of the master boot record on your C drive. It won't do any harm, and maybe you'll get lucky and it will work. Other solutions cost $$.

Glenn

3. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

what do you do to geth this error? i assume you're runing windows XP in NTFS format correct? well heres my experiance with this error when ever i format a HDD with winbdows XP in NTFS format and try to put it onto a system with differant hardware i get that error ... i believe if you are swaping HDD's on differant systems you will get that error. once i had built a computer and my mom had messed it up so i built anotehr one and when i put that old HDD into my new system i got that error i dident knwo what it meant at firstso i tossed the 20gig HDD out sad now that i know what the real problem was ... i believ windows XP in the NTFS file format wont allow you to swap out the harddrive (if you have multiple its the HDD that has the OS on it) really yhe only way to solve this is to format the harddrive or try Fat32 instead but please note that i have not tryed the fat32 thing but it was given as a sugestion from some one who had the same prob;lem .... i hope ive helped

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

my computer just got that same screen last week (running xp) I lost EVERY SINGLE PICTURE I HAD [​IMG] (about 300 or so, damn forgetting to back it up)
    I had to completely reinstall my OS. It says it was completely lost. So I had to track down an old installation disc.... found Win95 and installed it. then reinstalled Xp....
    I have no idea what it could be from..... my only suggestion, would be possibly Kazaa?? I read on there site something kinda like this, I dont know... at least my comp works again.

5. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

thanks for the replies. i tried to reformat the hard drive ( quick ntfs ) and after a few hours of using the pc just fine, i got that screen again. i never put that hard drive to another computer. i do use kazaa2. i had been using that drive for about 10 months. now it is out of my pc case, i bought a new one. what do you guys suggest me to do with it? format it entirely? i might have time to format it when a new pc for my son come in a few days.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    If it was form kazaa, it COULD be a boot-sector virus? Iunno, im not a huge computer guru. But when something screws up with kazaa, i'd think its avirus. and since you cant even boot, it could be a boot-sector virus.. [​IMG]

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Maybe don't run kazaa, and see if the repeated problem goes away?

Kazaa is EVIL.

Or maybe your hard drive is faulty?

8. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

A couple of suggestions:
    • I would do a complete reformat of the drive (NOT quick format). Do a thorough ScanDisk of the drive as well.
    • Make sure you install an anti-virus software to be sure that there are no boot sector viruses lurking around.
    • Try downloading SiSoft's Sandra benchmark/diagnostic software and running a file system test on the freshly formatted drive. If you run into problems, there could be a hardware issue.
    • I would recommend using Kazaa Lite instead of Kazaa to avoid the unnecessary spyware that Kazaa installs.
    What make/model hard drive do you have? Some drives are more prone to failure than others.