What's new

I have finally gone wired. (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
After a year and a half of dealing with a flaky soundbar I made the switch to this bad boy.

Eakx6MsXsAI2IbH.jpg

Yamaha YHT-3930UBL, and lord was it a pain getting this thing set up as my living room isn't the most friendly environment. Still after weeks of trying to get something future proof (4xHDCP 2.2!) at an affordable price I'm happy to say I succeeded.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yamaha NS-P40s. And no I don't have either money or the space for some sort of high end stack speakers.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So basically this is my setup now...

-TCL 49s405
-Yamaha YHT-3930UBL (RX-V830 + NS-P40 speaker system)
-Sony UBP-X700
-DirecTV 4k Mini-Genie

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And no I don't have either money or the space for some sort of high end stack speakers.

Yeah. I wouldn't go there unless someone asked for ideas. I was just curious as to your set-up.

I've "only" got Polk speakers in my setup (rti6/rti4/csi5). It's what fits my budget and makes me happy.

Are you happy with what you're hearing so far?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah. I wouldn't go there unless someone asked for ideas. I was just curious as to your set-up.

I've "only" got Polk speakers in my setup (rti6/rti4/csi5). It's what fits my budget and makes me happy.

Are you happy with what you're hearing so far?

So far? Yes. Some tracks have been a bit edgier than others (just tried the 2015 "Van Ling Edition" of T2 for instance) but generally I've gotten pretty good sound out of this.

What I've tried to date...

Superman The Movie (DD+ 5.1 70mm mix)
Star Wars A New Hope (DD+ 5.1 on Disney+)
Star Wars The Force Awakens (DD+ 5.1 on Disney+)
King Kong Vs. Godzilla (DTS-HD MA 4.0)
Jaws (Dolby True HD 7.2)
Blade Runner The Final Cut (Dolby True HD 5.1)
Blade Runner International Cut (DD+ 5.1)
The Black Hole (DD+ 4.1 on Disney+)
Alien (DTS-HD MA 4.1)
Aliens (DTS-HD MA 4.1)
Jurassic Park (DTS-HD MA 7.1)
The Black Cauldron (DD+ 5.1 on Disney+)
Twin Peaks: Pilot -- (DTS-HD MA 7.1)
Heaven's Gate -- (DTS-HD MA 4.1...although there's little to no LFE in this mix at all)
Dolby Digital "Train" (DD 5,1)
Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (DTS-HD MA 5.1...again no LFE)
Terminator 2 Judgment Day (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (DTS-HD MA 2.0 DPL 4.0 decode)
Police Story (PCM 1.0 + DTS-HD MA 5.1)
Koyaanisqatsi (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
Powaqqatsi (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
Anima Mundi (DD+ 2.0 DPL 4.0 Decode)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Plus various TV shows and movies on HBO.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
A lot of people tend to put these bundles down, but I think they are ultimately much better than a sound bar or an HTiB system (which, thankfully, are harder and harder to find these days). When I was still working in retail, I always tried to steer people looking at the Samsung, Sony and LG all-in-one HTiB's towards this type of bundle from Yamaha plus a Blu-ray player. I didn't always succeed, but my main selling point on this system was that it is very flexible when you want to add-on or upgrade. While the speakers may be the weak point in the system, they are at least decent and can get the job done, and you can easily swap out those speakers with something better down the road since the receiver is a real home theater receiver. Then, even later down the road, you can keep the upgraded speakers and swap out the receiver for something more powerful and more featured (although Yamaha has, at least in the past, packed a lot of value in to their entry-level receivers, some features like SACD/DSD decoding being undocumented).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So far? Yes. Some tracks have been a bit edgier than others
That's a common complaint. Your receiver might have a setting (Marantz and maybe Denon calls it "Cinema EQ") that tames the highs from what's technically correct. I've found I prefer that with my good system, but I think I leave it turned off on my living room system.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A lot of people tend to put these bundles down, but I think they are ultimately much better than a sound bar or an HTiB system (which, thankfully, are harder and harder to find these days). When I was still working in retail, I always tried to steer people looking at the Samsung, Sony and LG all-in-one HTiB's towards this type of bundle from Yamaha plus a Blu-ray player. I didn't always succeed, but my main selling point on this system was that it is very flexible when you want to add-on or upgrade. While the speakers may be the weak point in the system, they are at least decent and can get the job done, and you can easily swap out those speakers with something better down the road since the receiver is a real home theater receiver. Then, even later down the road, you can keep the upgraded speakers and swap out the receiver for something more powerful and more featured (although Yamaha has, at least in the past, packed a lot of value in to their entry-level receivers, some features like SACD/DSD decoding being undocumented).

The issue for me was trying to get something that could do HDCP 2.2 on my limited budget. A lot of older receivers on the used market just weren't going to cut it because of what I was planning on plugging into the thing. Also Onkyo kinda took itself out of the running because I wanted something reliable and apparently they've gone downhill.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The issue for me was trying to get something that could do HDCP 2.2 on my limited budget. A lot of older receivers on the used market just weren't going to cut it because of what I was planning on plugging into the thing. Also Onkyo kinda took itself out of the running because I wanted something reliable and apparently they've gone downhill.
For inexpensive and entry-level, Yamaha is usually my choice - like I said, they pack a lot of bang for the buck. If you're looking to do 7.1 or Atmos, Denon is my go-to these days. I think you can add Pioneer to the list of brands that have gone down hill, shorlty after Onkyo acquired the brand.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well I discovered the YMAQ automatic configuration utility applies an EQ curve. Switching that off makes the sound less harsh.

For inexpensive and entry-level, Yamaha is usually my choice - like I said, they pack a lot of bang for the buck. If you're looking to do 7.1 or Atmos, Denon is my go-to these days. I think you can add Pioneer to the list of brands that have gone down hill, shorlty after Onkyo acquired the brand.

Yeah I have no desire to do either Atmos or 7.1 at the present time. To think I almost bought a Pioneer VSX-45 for more money than what I ultimately spent too. Didn't even know Onkyo had bought out that brand. Yet another consequence that came out of their disastrous downsizing (see also the birth and subsequent collapse of Geneon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
josiahjkhendrix
Recent bookmarks