I have finally entered the Age Of Digital Sound.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dwayne, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

After using an old pro-logic setup for years, I have finally taken my first step into digital surround.
    Tonight, I purchased the Kenwood HTB-504. Now I know that HTBs are normally frowned upon, but considering my logistics (apartment dwelling) and budget, this system seemed like a good start. I went into this decision with the following in mind:
    1. Immediate enjoyment....
    and
    2. Choosing a receiver that has enough features that I can upgrade around.
    Eventually, the next upgrade will be speakers.
    Unfortunately, they didn't have any coaxial cable at Sears, so hooking up the receiver to the DVD digital outs is no go at the moment. I did try to run over to Best Buy, but by the time I got there, they were closed. So, I'll be making a few trips tomorrow to get some additional things.
    I would like to know what you guys recommend for tweaking the hell out of this thing. I am already thinking some 16 gauge speaker wire from Home Depot, a SPL meter (analog) from Radio Shack, and Avia. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    I'm really excited. I currently have over a hundred and thirty titles on DVD, and it's I like get to watch them all over again in a new way.
    I may not have substantially posted in this section in the past, but I do frequent here and I find the info very valuable. Thanks.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    "And vidi films I would."
    [Edited last by Dwayne on August 17, 2001 at 10:42 PM]

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

First off you should probably use 12 gauge wiring. A Dolby Digital 5.1 is an incredible leap from DPL. Did you get a sub-woofer with your set up. This can make an another great addition to yoiu 5.1 set up. In the meantime enjoy.

3. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

You can get the coax cable and 12 ga. speaker wire at Home Depot, it will save you a trip to Best Buy. I just joined you in the digital realm, new receiver, speakers, subs...enjoy.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

before you run out and buy a "digital" coax cable if you've got an old video cable just use that for now...in all likelyhood you'll not notice any difference. More expenisive digital cables give you better build quality but sound differences are subtle at best.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

5. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Thanks for the advice.
    I'll be stepping out the door very shortly. I'm waiting for my girlfriend to get home.
    Marty,
    12 gauge it is then. The HTB-504 did come with a powered sub (8" driver and 100 w amp).
    Scott,
    I forgot to mention another reason why I want to head over to Best Buy......Saving Private Ryan DTS. I have it in DD, but from what I understand, the mix doesn't even come close to the DTS version. It is nice to know that I can pick up coax cable at HD though. Thanks.
    Andrew,
    That's probably what I would do if I had any lying around. I was originally think toslink, but most say that there is no difference. Plus, coax is more durable. With tos, you gotta be careful not to bend it too much.
    I am not looking to get anything real expensive for the that one connection. I mean coax is coax, right?
    ------------------
    -Dwayne

6. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I have finally set up everything although it's not fully calibrated yet.
    I took that trip to Best Buy and wound up buying a Monster coax cable (3 ft. - $40.00). Also picked up Saving Private Ryan DTS (24.99).
    Next, my girlfriend and I took a trip to Home Depot. Picked up 12 gauge speaker wire (100 ft - 30.00).
    Wired up everything up in a couple of hours.
    Then it came time for a short demonstration. There are many advantages to 5.1, but the one I wanted to illustrate to my girlfriend is the stereo imaging in the rear. Before I started to set anything up, I played the TEX trailer on Toy Story using the old prologic system while asking her to pay attention to the mono surrounds. So once I had the 5.1 hooked up, the TEX trailer was the first thing to get played. She was immediately wowed then TEX flies to the left surround, makes some repairs, and then flies across the rear soundfield to the right surround to make adjustments there as well. She also noticed .1 which she acknowledged with a big grin. [​IMG] The whole thing sounded wonderful.
    Next thing I played was chapter 2 of SPR DTS. No wonder it's voted as one of, if not the, best mixes out there. Everything was so much more pronounced and defined. The whizz effect on some of the bullets is just amazing. But the most noticeable thing is that every channel is just filled with sound information and is constantly active. There are so many details and nuances that I've never noticed before. Needless to say, I am one happy camper.
    I don't think my neighbors are going to be all that happy though.
    I do have one question that I need your assistance with:
    On my receiver, the numeric value that represents the volume, has a starting value of -99 (for lowest), and increments toward 0 when I increase the volume.
    Is this normal? Or do I need to take the receiver back?
    I would really hate to, since everything else seems to work fine. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne
    [Edited last by Dwayne on August 19, 2001 at 10:11 PM]
    [Edited last by Dwayne on August 19, 2001 at 10:17 PM]

7. Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson Agent

nah...it's fine, thats the way the volume should look...it's in dB's.. -99 is mute, and 0 is "supposedly" reference level...

8. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

That's what I was guessing at. Thanks for the confirmation. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Dwayne