I have Dolby Digital (DD) DirecTv receiver, but can't receive all DD programming

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jorossy, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Jorossy

Jorossy Stunt Coordinator

I have an RCA DRD450RG Dolby Digital (DD) DirecTv satellite receiver. The program guide states that the following premium channels provide DD programming:

HBO East

HBO West

Starz East

Starz West

Encore Eest

Encore West

Showtime East

Showtime West

The Movie Channel (tmc) East

The Movie Channel (tmc) West

Out of all those, I only receive DD on HBO east and west, Starz east and Showtime east.

Does DirecTv broadcast DD on the others (Starz west, both Encores, Showtime west and both tmc's), or is there something wrong with my box?

I called DirecTV and was told that my model number is NOT a DD capable satellite receiver; no matter what DD insignia is on the box and what RCA tells me. I then called RCA and was told that my box is one of the latest DD models. I then was instructed to call back DirecTV to ask them to monitor the channels in question to see if they are getting them in DD or not. I have not done this because I assume it would not do me any good since I was told my receiver was not DD capable.

Showtime was e-mailed about this too. I was instructed to call DirecTv. If I may try to quote Scotty on Star Trek: TOS when he told Kirk that the ship was going warp 10 in circles, "We are going nowhere really fast!".

Can anyone help me out? I hope I didn't waste my money on this replacement box, and I hope that I do not have to switch to Dish to be get what I want.

2. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

ppv channels on d-tv are in dd 5.1.

across the board on d-tv you will have anything from dd lf/rf to 4.0 to 5.1. music channels are dd front only. they wont have dd 5.1 for all movies like on hbo east. it all depends. do you have coax or optical running from your dss to your rec.? ive logged 30++ channels in dd a few months ago and thats not including the music channels. when i get some time i will go through the channels including all ppv's and post what has what. rob

stick with direct tv. they have a much better selection of equipment!!!

3. Jorossy

What do you mean 30+ channels in DD. My music channels are NEVER in DD, only PCM. Only one, maybe two, PPV channels are DD; depending on the movie or event. And as far as the premiums go, only the ones I listed (HBO-E, HBO-W, Starz-E, Showtime-E) are in DD.

What satellite receiver to you have? The only one I could find besides a sony (I did not what a sony because of the picture shift complaints that I heard) was rca. And the only available model was the one that's listed in my original post.

I need some help here.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Jorossy

My satellite box is connected to my surround receiver via a monster optical digital cable. According to the info screen of my box, HBO east and west, starz east and showtime east always deliver two english soundtracks - dd (from 1.0 to 5.1) and pcm (whether stereo or mono). By the way, my surround receiver displays the sound format of the incoming signal from my box. If it's dd, is displays dd with the available channels. Otherwise it displays "PCM (48kHz)".

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Jorossy

My concern is not with pcm. I even went into the setup menus of the box changed the audio from 'Auto Detect' (which gives me dd first, then pcm if dd is not available)to 'Dolby Digital' (dd or no sound). When I did this, every other channel besides the ones I described goes mute.

8. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

i have the sony a50 and the sony a55. all my music channels are in dd2.0 (only the 2 fronts) im not sure who told you there is a problem with the sony boxes but i never had a single problem with any of mine. do you have a coax out on your box? if so try the coax instead if the optical cable. also most of all the ppv's are in dd!!! i also have digital cable. the box is again a sony m55*** with the NDS cards. no problems with these sony boxes either. anything above 84 is dd except a small handful of channels. d-tv and digital cable have the same feeds. thats two people telling you that dd is there in the stream. go get a sony box!!!

most of dss hbo/showtime ect.. are dd 2.0-dd 5.1.

all music channels are dd 2.0

there are a few channels in dd 4.0

i have my digital cable box on right now and i have all hbo/showtime in dd 2.0 - dd 5.1. i have coax running to my rec..

hope this helps you, rob

9. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Jorossy, there's nothing wrong with your box. The list of all those channels is wrong. On DirecTV, Dolby Digital is available only on a few PPV channels, Starz East, HBO East, HBO West, and Showtime East. Showtime East became available only a month or two ago. For the most part, only newer movies that have premiered since the channel started doing Dolby Digital will be 5.1. ("Battlefield Earth" was the first 5.1 movie on HBO, so most movies that are more recent than that phenomenal waste of celluloid should be 5.1.)

Let's not argue about what channels on DirecTV should have Dolby Digital based on the digital cable counterparts. A cable company may encode the audio of any digital channel in Dolby Digital, so a channel having DD on digital cable does not mean it must have DD on DirecTV.

Michael is right, "PCM" is not pure PCM. There's no way DirecTV would waste bandwidth by transporting uncompressed audio. DirecTV uses MP3's older brother, MPEG-1 Layer II. All DirecTV receivers will decode it to PCM.

10. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I agree with Wayne. Not all channels that can carry DD 5.1 do only carry DD 5.1

The music channels are mpeg encoded same 48k sample rate as all other Dtv channels.

There are one or two PPV channels, think 110 is one, that only carry 5.1. The rest are other formats including DD 2.0 (not prologic II, but dolby digital 2 channel)

I'll bet you are quickly realizing this might have been a waste of money for DD. If you had a good sales rep, don't we all want a good one? They would of told you that DD5.1 isn't truely supported by Directv. I remember seeing the Dolby Digital 5.1 demo channel which looped the DD trailers from movies. That was impressive, but there was nothing to kick your butt after seeing those demos.

Your best bet for 5.1 content is Premium or PPV channels. Not all movies on any of the premium channels will be 5.1. (I would not want to see the taxi cab documentary in 5.1!) But the ones that are sound great!

You can always go spend the $$$$$ for HDTV. HBO HDTV and the PPVs on 199 for the most part are 5.1 and as impressive far more impressive visually. (read better looking than DVD)