I have decided to go with Paradigm Speakers.....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by trevorDO, Feb 14, 2006.

1. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

Probably the Studio 60's. Which Center channel would go better with the 60's, CC-470 or CC-570?

I have a Yamaha receiver RX-V757, what a good amp to run the paradigms? I'm looking to spend $1500-$2000, 3 or 5 channel amp.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

This would actually come in under your budget, but check out Outlaw Audio. They've got 200w monoblocks that they sell for $325 each. So three would be $975 or five would be $1625.

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Trevor: Is the $1500-2000 just for the amp? If so, I've got some good suggestions for ya....If you are putting this system together for ONLY HT, or if 2-channel music is NOT all that important to you, I'd take Seth's suggestion and go Outlaw. I was running those monoblocks when I had my studio/100s and they kicked some serious butt. IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT 2-CHANNEL MUSIC, though, then consider something from either Odyssey audio (9odysseyaudio.com) or Van Alstine (avahifi.com). Van Alstine's Omega EX amps are considered a huge value, but even better (considering your budget) would be to jump up into their Fet Valve 350 EX 2-channel hybrid amp. It's considered a hybrid because it incorporates both a solid state AND tube design. Otherwise, he makes a 3-channel HT amp that I'm sure would be better for music than the Outlaw gear.

Other brands to consider: Parasound, NuForce, Channel Islands Audio.....etc, etc. If you have that kind of budget, trust me, a good amp is a worthy investment for the studios. They respond VERY well to higher end amplification.

4. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

AlanZ,
    the $1500-$2000 is the amount for the amp alone. My system will be mostly home theater but some music.

Would the monoblocks be better than 7500 5-channel outlaw amp?

what about Anthem amps? MCA 50 or PVA 5

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Trevor: You really can't go wrong with any of Outlaw's products. They are tremendous bang for the buck and their customer service is very strong, too. I'm confident that they would give you a pretty amazing HT experience and still be strong with music. I consider the Anthem a step up from the Outlaw gear, myself. Others may consider it more of a lateral move. They are both great choices, IMO. Anthem is a natural match for Paradigm, so I'd definitely see if you can get a listen at your dealer. They SHOULD carry the line if they carry Paradigm. As for monoblocks vs. single chassis? I've just always preferred monoblocks to an all-in-one amp. I like the flexibility and the individual power supply. As for an audible difference? Hard to say.....

6. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Trevor,

I could be wrong, but I do not believe AudioLabs in Des Moines has Anthem products. Saying the 'SHOULD' carry them is really an opinion, I'm sure there are 50 different amplifier companies that would sound good with the Paradigms. They really mainly sell Marantz products at AudioLabs.

Blaine

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Just a suggestion. I went with the outlaw set up and also have a 7.1 HT. I got their 5 channel amp and two singles. The two singels run the front two channels. I figure that way if anything ever goes wrong I won't be totally out of music or movies. So far I love it. I have the 990 pre/pro as well.

8. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Blaine: The reason I said they SHOULD carry Anthem if they also carry Paradigm is because the two companies are related. Go to the Paradigm website and you'll see the link to Anthem products. Paradigm speakers and Anthem gear all fall under the umbrella of the Paradigm Group.

9. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

There was a recent review of outlaw 7125 amp at Ultimate AV Mag website. They gave it a good review. Lots of blind test have been done and consistently point out that people cannot reliably tell the difference between a good amp by someone like Outlaw, Parasound, Rotel and the higher cost ones. If you've got cash to burn, go ahead and get one of the exotics, but in your price range I'd stick to one of the ones I mentioned.

I own two Outlaw M200 monoblock and they work great. IMO you're really splitting hairs and I wouldn't spend much time worrying if separate monoblocks will perform better than a multichannel amp. Also, if you're using a sub a good solid 125 watts is plenty, so again I wouldn't worry about what I'd be missing if I didn't get a 200w amp.

BTW, excellent choice on speakers. What made you decide on the 60s?

10. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

11. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Check out an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3 or 5 channel amp. I pushed 5 big maggies with this beast and it did a great job!!

12. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Trevor, re: the center channel, go with the CC-570. I started out with the 470, but found that the 570 sounded a little cleaner. Brought it over to my friends house (he had the 470 too) and he switched as well.

Good luck.

13. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

After auditioning the 60's & 40's, I didnt like them as much as I though I would. The 60's had way to much bass and Mids and drowned out the distinction of the highs a little. The 40's were much better, but not as much distinction between highs and lows as I thought. I know this will sound crazy, but I though the Monitor 7's sounded much better. Maybe I should go have another audition again.

14. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

What you're describing sounds like room interaction/improper setup issues to me. I've found the Studios to be sensitive to placement. If they are too close to objects like a wall or a big screen TV they will loose a lot of definition and the imaging will suffer. I feel one of the studio's strong points is it's horizontal dispersion which I suspect is part of the reason for this. From the FR charts I've seen of the to 60's the bass isn't exaggerated.

FWIW if you like the monitors better, get them. Don't worry about what others say, and buy what you like best. Also, the Paradigm sound might not be for you. Check out Boston, Definitive Technology, B&W, or Klipsch.

15. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

I do like the Paradigm 7's the best out of what I've heard except the Revel F32's but at $4000 a pair to much for me. I do like the Energy RC70's, but I don't know if I want to pay $1500 for those. Never heard Definate Technology, don't even know where any of those are in Des Moines, IA. I've never heard Boston's before, but I would like to hear those, I know they have a goo rep to them. I would have to drive about 30 miles to a dealer from me. What kind of sound do they have?

16. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

When properly setup definitive technology is a great speaker, but in the wrong setup they can sound pretty bad. Given that, the Def Tech have a warmer presentation than the studios and the highs a little more rolled off. Boston tends to have a smooth sound that I would call neutral. I've found the midrange of the bostons and paradigms to be sorta similar in that they're both accurate and smooth. The tweeters sound different.

What kind of sound are you looking for? What kind of music do you like? How loud? What's the room like? Equipment? From what you're written so far, it sounds like you might want a somewhat brighter speaker. If you do, check out klipsch. They make seriously detailed power houses. JM labs might be a good choice since some of their speakers are very good a resolving detail.

Also, consider getting bookshelves and a sub. The best room placement for mids and highs aren't the same for bass.

17. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

I have a Yamaha Rx-V757 Receiver. I have a wide range of music, Classical, rock, pop, r&b, country, just about everything there is except opera.

The sound I like is what I heard in the Paradigm Monitor 7's. Distinct highs but not to bright, so the Klipsh would be out. But a good blend of highs and lows.

My living room where my system will be is 13'wide X 23'long with a fireplace that sticks out of the wall about 2 feet on the left side wall.

How do the Boston's VR3 & VR2's sound in comparison to Paradigm monitor7's & B&W 600's & 700's?

18. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I haven't heard the Monitor 7 and it's been awhile since I heard the Bostons. Based on my memory, I liked the tweeter on the Studios better than the Bostons. The B&Ws 600 series are okay, and I really like the B&W 705s. IIRC, the 600 series B&Ws can sound very different, so make sure you listen to each one. I didn't like the bass response of the big 600 series bookshelf because it sounded a little exaggerated to me. If the 705s are in your price range, give them a listen. They have amazing detail, but it is a sound that some won't like.

If you listen to the Studios again, make sure they are placed out in the room and not crammed in with a bunch of other speakers. They really need space to sound their best.

19. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I own Boston Acoustics speakers, the CR9s from the late 90s. But all the Bostons I've heard (like pretty much any other speaker manufacturer) share their overall sound: highs are detailed but have a subtle "silkiness" to them so they are easy to listen to for long periods of time - this includes their metal domed tweeters*; midrange is pretty much the same; their bass output, even from their subs, has a rich/full quality (but is not boomy or bloated) and seems to go lower than most of their competitors' similar-sized models.

I don't think Bostons are the most accurate speakers available but for me this is not a problem. Because as I've found out over the years, most rock & pop recordings (my favorite type to listen to) aren't always that well recorded, and playing these through a speaker exhibiting 100% perfect accuracy can reveal too many flaws in the recording making for a rather unpleasant listening experience. So for me the Bostons are still a very accurate speaker but a speaker that coats the music with just enough "sonic butter" [​IMG] to make it a bit more palatable.

BTW: Paradigms and B&Ws for example - for me - only sound good with excellent recordings. Otherwise they are too harsh and/or dry sounding (I want to use the word "bright" but that seems to get lots of people in a tizzy!). As a reference point, Infinity's speakers are as accurate as I can stand.

There are lots of speakers out there that go the opposite way and add major dollops of various sonic coatings to the music in an effort to make everything sound good.....and this actually works. BUT: when you want to hear that really awesome recording from Telarc or another quality-minded label, all you'll get to hear is *good* sound, not the awesome sound that those engineers worked so hard to capture. In other words, sonic coatings are a two-way street.

* that AMD gizmo they use really works well

20. trevorDO

trevorDO Agent

LanceJ,

You give me something to really think about concerning Boston speakers. You make me want to really go and audition them. The way you described the highs is what I am looking for. I do like the way Paradigms sound, but B&W did not appeal to me at all.
    Are infinity really good speakers, compared to Bostons & Paradigms?
    DO you think boston make for good home theater?