What's new

I have changed my mind about S-VHS "ET" mode...any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
but i can fit 2 games on a t-160 and only 1 game on a t-120 (football game)

so from a space perpective i have to go with the t-160

is it true that eventually i will be able to run these tapes thru my computer and clean them up prior to burning them onto a dvd?

like it would reduce drop outs and tracking issues

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I use the SVHS-ET feature, precisely because I DO want the cheap way out. With my JVC 7800 unit, the quality isn't too bad in SP mode- I see about 350 lines or so on TDK tapes from Costco (I checked this by recording the AVIA resolution chart).
For this material, have you compared SVHS EP to SVHS-ET SP on your deck?

Saves shelf space too.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
For this material, have you compared SVHS EP to SVHS-ET SP on your deck?
No, I haven't. It would be an interesting comparison, though. I've often had bad experiences with EP back in the VHS days (that nasty tape warble), so I've never even investigated it with SVHS at all. I'll check it out when I have time.

I only have a few tapes (15 or so that I've made), so it's not a big space or time expense for me. If not for Indy, Star Wars, disney flicks, and a few of my own tapes, I would ditch the VCR altogether.

Bill, I don't know about any T160 tapes. Do a google search for SVHS T-160 and see who comes up.

BTW, do you really rewatch a lot of those games? When do you find the time, and what's the point? I do not mean to bash you on this- I'm genuinely curious.

Todd

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
Todd, I have a collection of over 700 sporting events on tape. Most college football but some Detroit pro stuff as well

I like to watch them. I also make them available to other sports fans via trading which will enlarge my collection even further.

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to have good luck with using sp mode ET VHS tapes. I use TDK extra high grade and the picture is pretty good. I have recorded laserdiscs (400 lines) to these tapes and sometimes (due to the way the VCR "cleans up" the source) the picture looks better! I view on a 106" screen so I can see the flaws. I have a JVC 7600(?). I really like this feature.

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
Does S-VHS (true S-VHS) have the same problems with moving a tape from deck to deck that S-VHS ET does?

Alex F.

Second Unit
Since S-VHS's inception (about 1987) I've had five such decks (one RCA and four JVCs; two of the latter have the ET feature), and have interchanged tapes from deck to deck countless times without a playback problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks