I have burn in! :(

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chad Sunderland, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Chad Sunderland

Chad Sunderland Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I have burn in on my Panasonic PT-53WX42. This is my first RPTV, and it was my own fault, I left the TV on Fox News for most of the war, and now I have a yellowish square right where the Fox News station logo was. Now...what is the best course of action to take. I'm a little confused as to what needs replaced, is it the screen itself, or is it the projector guns? Can this be a DIY project, at this point I'm not too afraid to tear into the TV since it is somewhat screwed anyway. Any ideas on how much parts should cost, and where I can get them??? Thank you for any help you can give me in my time of need and stupidity. [​IMG]

Chad

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Replacement of the 3 crts is required to fix this. Cost is about $1200 to $1500.

Unless you fix TV's, this is not a DIY project.

You can sort of reverse the effect by running an inverted negative image at high contrast for a while. You need to constantly check on it though ...

Regards

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And that's a risk in and of itself. Michael, I first saw that suggested by Mike Wood in Home THeater magazine. Do you know of any cases where that theory was put to the test?

Sorry to hear about your situation, Chad. As you decide what you want to do (the inverse-object approach, CRT replacement, or, perhaps best, getting a new RPTV), you might dash off a note to Fox News Channel about this. Nothing will result most likely, given that the networks will do everything in their power to be able to continue branding themselves with those stupid logos. But they shouldn't also be literally branding our display devices!

4. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I am careful when it comes to this. When watching channels with logo I change the channel from time to time to get it off the screen. I try to tell my wife to beware of these but she gets so focused on the show I could post a $100 bill on the TV where the logo is and a note saying go spend this and she wouldn't see it.

5. PatSloan

PatSloan Agent

I wonder how long it will be until tv's come out with some sort of active protection from these stupid logos? Something like having a moveable box to fuzz out and change the logo area. Sort of like the pnp box. I suppose that also would be a good way to stop burn in if you have to watch a particular channel for a long time. Just position the pnp box over the offending logo.....

What do you all think?

--pat

6. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings ...

They would just move the bug to another place on the screen.[​IMG]

Some plasma sets actually have the reverse burn in mode built in, but once again, you have to monitor it closely to know when it is too much.

Imperfect world and would likely never get it to be exact. Close ... maybe.

Regards