I have an idea about movie ratings...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Adams, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    How about if movie studios sidestep the MPAA, and create their own ratings board? They can do this, as the MPAA says on their own website that they can, as long as they don't base it off of the MPAA's. Now, I think we should do it like the British system, which uses ages.

7 - Films of a Wholesome quality; little in the way of sex, violence, or bad language. Child can come alone.

12 - Films that are a bit more extreme in violence or language; a small amount of sex. Child can come alone.

15 - Films that are much more intense in violence and language; small amounts of nudity. Child can come, accompanied with parent or guardian.

18 - Films that are extremely intense with violence, language, sex and nudity. Child can come, accompanied with parent or guardian.

But of course, it would never come to be, because of the familiarity of the MPAA system, and the advantages of leeway with the MPAA concerning subject matter. But, a man can wish, can't he?

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Why would one want this? The MPAA are advisory ratings only. The British ratings (with the exception of PG and the recently created 12A) are not. Personally, I'd prefer making the decision of what's suitable for my child myself when/if I have any.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'm for no rating at all. Crib from the cable channels and create letter codes for any potentially objectionable content. This is an attempt to be fair while keeping it objective and not subjective.

L = Language
    GL = Graphic Language
    N = Nudity
    SSC = Strong Sexual Content
    V = Violence
    GV = Graphic Violence

You could even have some of the more specialized categories like:
    BN = Brief Nudity
    R = Rape

Beautiful in its simplicity and leaves the content question to the reviewers like CapAlert (shudder) and ScreenIt. Build the movie you want and let it stand (or fall) on its own merit. If they review the movie as lewd or distasteful, people will avoid it (or flock to it in droves :b )

Wouldn't you rather see:
    American Pie - L, N
    Lethal Weapon - L, N, GV
    Clerks - GL
    Than all "R" ratings?

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, don't we wish! Lucas could start this with EP 3. Tell the MPAA to go and take a flying leap and do his own thing.

The problem lies with the theater's policy of not accepting any movie that hasn't been rated by the MPAA, which blows the big one. I think they'd change their minds if EP 3 came out that way.

Glenn

5. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell