I have an extra $300 I can spend, what should I get

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by StephenWE, Feb 7, 2005.

1. StephenWE

StephenWE Agent

I'm currently looking at Toshiba's 26" HDTV and Onkyo's HT-S770, plus an AV Rack. Pricing is as follows:

TV: $499
    HTiB: $424
    TV Stand: $150

I am planning on using this in my bedroom, which is currently about 11'x10', but that will change. I'm still in college, and I have another two years of undergrad plus two of grad school, so I'll be doing a lot of moving, but I digress.

My current DVD player is my Xbox.

I thought about upgrading the TV, but the $799 price point doesn't really do much size wise. If I got a TV that didn't need the stand that would push the price point to $950, which is close to Akai's 42" HDTV. The only problem is that it needs a stand and it doesn't have HDMI.

I could upgrade the surround sound, but the space is small, and the S770 sounded good to me.

Then there is the DVD player. Originally I was going to get a 6 Disc changer for the sole purpose of being able to load all 6 discs of the LoTR Extended Editions without gettinig off the bed, but that isn't a realistic goal anyway. Also, rumour has it that Xbox 2 is going to come out and November and may offer Blue-Ray or HD-DVD, or both.

So there lies my problems, any expert advice?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

15 of your favorite DVD's?

I've never used an X-box as a DVD player, (hell, I've never used an X-box period) so, I don't know how easily it doubles as a DVD player. If it's anything like my PS2, it's a pain to watch DVD's on it.

I'd suggest a decent DVD player... I think $300 might even buy you an upscaling one. Does your Toshi support DVI?

3. StephenWE

StephenWE Agent

I believe it does. I'd have to look it up to be sure.

As far as DVD playback I think the Xbox does a really nice job.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Stephen, please note that there's a disclaimer atop the main thread-listing page in the Basics area. It says that for specific purchasing advice, post in the appropriate hardware-related area. Which is why I've moved your thread to the A/V Sources area, where you can discuss assembling a complete system. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level.