I have an Anamorphic "Stargate"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DEAN DE FURIA, Feb 4, 2002.

1. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

The only problem is it's a laserdisc! I saw it on Ebay advertised as a "squeeze" LD imported from Japan. I just had to get it to try it out. It looks pretty darn good. Much better than the domestic DVD. Nice detail, dark blacks, excellent contrast and the best part: VERY little edge enhancement. Smooth, film-like, not "digital" looking like the EE ravaged domestic release. Too bad they didn't make too many of these.

It has Japanese subtitles and they are in the picture area not in the black bars like other Japanese discs I own.

Excellent DD 5.1 sound. Sounds as good to me as the domestic DTS laserdisc.

All in all an interesting footnote in Home theater history.

2. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

I, on the other hand, have the anamorphic DVD, with DTS. Thing is, it's Region 2.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Just to give this thread variety, I have the Japanese Muse LD of STARGATE which is anamorphic. It's the best looking Muse LD in my small collection. It darn sure looks better than the region 1 non-A DVD. It looks so good it proably beat anamorphic DVD's. Most Muse releases wouldn't, but this is one of the top discs. That region 2 disc might give it a run though Tony?
    Dean, I bought a copy of T2 Squeez. It looks amazingly good. The colour isn't quite as good as DVD, but the detail is about on par. I too, wanted to see an anamophic NTSC LD. It's a shame the studios worked so hard to keep Muse and/or anamorphic LD's away from us all. Us video pirates can't be trusted with good images ya know! The Muse LD has sub's in the frame too. 1.85 to 1 stuff always does in my experience. The wider stuff hardly ever does...Best wishes from Laserland!

4. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    The Region 3 Korea anamorphic release is excellent but not the longer director's cut. I was first released in Korea in 1997. It had been out OOP but has now been re-released. I have the original and only assume the re-release is same transfer. I have not seen the new issue.

5. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

But Stargate is 2.35:1 not 1:85:1!
    The R2 is a good looking print except when it goes to the added footage (no branching to remove it) which seems to have been sourced from hi-quality video tape. The subs are even burned into that bit.[​IMG]

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I've got the 'Squeeze LD' of Stargate too. I don't remember it being 5.1 though. Guess I need to watch it again but have been waiting to watch my R2 version in DTS.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Theo, I believe that sometimes the studios have insisted on burned in sub's in the frame too because of copying paranoia. STARGATE is one of the few 2.35 to 1 LD's with sub's in the frame not the black border. The whole Muse format has burned in sub's when they darn sure could of had multiple, switchable, removable sub's using LD-Graphics technology. I suspect the content providers refused to let the format release without burned in sub's. Same for the 7 NTSC Squeez releases. It's a theory that fits the facts, anyway....

8. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

Mark, it is a 5.1 disc, for sure.

Rachael, What are the 7 squeeze titles?

9. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Dean, I saw them listd someplace I was surfing in the past week or two but I don't remember where. I was home sick last week and did almost nothing but surf and watch video. It could of been Laserdisc Forever maybe...? It was one of the achieve type sites I think? As I remember they're all action or sci-fi titles that are out on DVD. I got my T2 Squeez for $30 off Laser Exchange's e-bay store. Best wishes!

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Wasn't there a rumor at one of the more respected sites (maybe DVD File or Bits) about a re-release coming out? Let's hope they use a better source than the one for the first two attempts.

This film really does deserve to be treated right on DVD!