I have about $400 to spend on a digital camera at buy.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Dugan, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Dave Dugan

Dave Dugan Stunt Coordinator

Suggestions?

I was looking at the Canon A20, but then discovered the Fuji Finepix 2800Z, which looks to be a better unit.

Is there anything available on buy.com that far eclipses the 2800Z in image quality and features in about the same price range?

I'm limited to buy.com's selection, as I've received their gift certificates as Xmas gifts.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Dave

2. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I just bought for my wife the Kodak dx3900. 3.1 megapixels. She is extremely happy with it. We got it from buy.com also. Very high quality pics for its price range.

3. Dave Dugan

That Kodak caught my eye, too. The Fuji has some sweet features, though.

I'm very torn, hence this thread.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Dave

4. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Dave,
    if you look back a few days there is a post about the Fuji Fine Pix 2600.
    I can't comment on any other Fine Pix model but the 2600 is a great starter digital camera for around $300.00.
    I posted links to two sample photos and gave a quick review of the Fine Pix 2600.
    You might want to consider the Nikon Cool Pix series cameras but they are more expensive.
    I wanted one but budget only allowed for $300.00
    max so I read reviews and ended up with the Fine Pix 2600.
    A great site that I found for digital camera reviews is: http://www.steves-digicams.com/
    Good luck,
    Brian

5. Dave Dugan

Thanks, Brian.

Between the 2600 and the 2800, I'm leaning more toward the 2800 for the better features and zoom and because I have the money anyway...

I've read some reviews at steves-digicams.com. They were helpful, but the site lacks the good overviews and comparisons that I'm looking for.

I'm basically asking for the best bang for my buck out of what's available on buy.com. While I doubt I'll regret it if I buy any of the models mentioned here so far, I'm always paranoid that the REALLY good buy will have been right around the corner...

-Dave

6. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

7. Dave Dugan

Steve:

Was your decision to go with the 2600 over the 2800 based on price? Price/performance? Features?

Just wondering.

Thanks for the links, too. The wishbook at Imaging Resources is exactly the kind of "best of" thing I'm looking for. Very helpful.

-Dave

8. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Dave , the decision did come down to price. This was our first digi camera and the deal we got for the 2600 was outstanding.We got it at 800.com thru the MSN passport deal , $299 then weare getting $60 back from MSN and a $50 800.com certificate. Plus it had a $35 smart media rebate and a free $39 accessory kit. The 2600 performs well for us not to justify the 2800 extra cost.The 2800 is a fine camera from what I've read about it.Either one you can't go wrong , if you want more bells & whistles go for the 2800.

9. Tiffany A

Tiffany A Stunt Coordinator

I REALLY like my Sony Mavica. I have seen other cameras and there is no comparison. It can't be that much more (I received it as a gift) and it is worth every nickel if it is! [​IMG]

10. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Tiffany the 2.1 megapixel Mavica , the same size megapixel as Fuji costs about $700-800.Wonderful camera but pricey.

11. Dave Dugan

Yeah, the Sonys look good, but the price difference doesn't seem to be justified to me.

Thanks for the feedback, Steve.

So now it looks like I'm wavering between the Fuji Finepix 2800Z ($315.95), the Nikon Coolpix 775 ($379.00), the Canon Powershot A20 (348.95), and the Kodak DX3900 (trading off features for more resolution, but in the same price range...$349.95).

Unless some new information pops up here, I have a feeling I'll be going with the Fuji, especially if it keeps being the cheapest of the bunch.

Again, I'm totally aware that I'll be ecstatically happy with any of these cameras...I'm just fussing over my purchase...

-Dave

12. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

I just bought the Kodak DX3900 and it takes fabulous pictures. Yeah, it doesn't have the features that other cameras have but I traded the bells and whistles for picture quality.

My father also bought the Canon Powershot A20. Also, another fine camera. Haven't really played around with it much so I couldn't tell you about the features. One thing I can say is his biggest complaint is alot of the pictures have really bad red eye and the software that came with the camera does not have any red-eye reduction. Like I said though, I haven't played with it yet so I am not sure if he is just missing something.

Whatever your decision just make sure about the return policy that you can return it. I was going to buy from Circiut City but they wanted a 15% restocking fee if the box was opened. So I bought it online from a site called beachcamera.com that had great prices(I know your stuck to buy.com)

Jeff_P

13. Dave Dugan

Thanks, Jeff.

I'm leaning more toward 2MP with features over 3MP with no features. Most pics I take will be viewed on-screen or emailed to people anyway, so high print quality is not my chief concern (though I do like having the option).

Of course if more people give me buy.com gift certificates or cash for Xmas, I may spring for 3MP AND more features...

I'm not holding my breath, though.

I'd also be likely to buy a good 2MP, which will more than meet my needs, and then use whatever I have left to get more media, accessories, etc.

-Dave

14. Dave Dugan

The more I think about it, the more I lean toward the Fuji 2800Z, so I'll probably go with it after all.

Of course, I'll still take any advice and consider any information I come across. I probably won't be buying the camera until mid-January or so...

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

-Dave