I have about 400 max for speakers w/ sub, am I hopeless?? :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Carr, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

What do you guys think... can I get decent speakers for 400 bucks w/ sub? My buddy has a dealer account for Polk so I can get the RM 6200 w/ PW 250 sub for about 375. (I'm helping my buddy set up a cheap starter HT system)

Is that the best I can do with 400 bucks?

thanks for the help guys!

2. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I think it might be. You could do better if you waited on the sub. Try and get better speakers first? Most people can't buy everything at once anyways.

3. Jim Carr

If I was just buying speakers and no sub.. what do you guys think would be good for under 400?

thanks!

Jim

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

If you are only looking for one pair of speakers for $400 there are lots and lots of choices. I own Kef, and they have a Q15.2 speaker which is great. A lot of people like Paradigm (which has several options in this price range), and definitive technology has some in this price range also. B&W has the highly regarded 303 speaker in the range, and the Aegis One has gotten lots of stellar reviews.
    On the online front, lots of people like Norh speakers, HomeTheaterDirect and Diva speakers.
    Hope this helps.[​IMG]

5. Jim Carr

George... my buddy (who I'm setting up the system for) is WAY more broke than that.. LOL. He's looking for all 5 speakers at less then 400 bucks?

Any options?

thanks!

Jim

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

You might be able to cram in the JBL NSP-1 and the Sony SAWM40 sub under there, or close to it.

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Jim, aren't you the guy that recently got the Onkyo 898 receiver? That is an awfully nice piece of equipment to run through a $400 speaker set. If you are not that guy, sorry for the error. If you are, I would have apportioned funds a bit differently between the receiver and loudspeakers, but that's just me.

Anyway, my advice is to not get a complete setup right now. Instead, get a center and mains. Use anything lying around for rears, or borrow/buy for a few bucks from a friend. Later, get a decent sub, then decent rears. You can do OK for a front sound stage with $400. Nothing spectacular, but decent. In the Paradigm line, which I am most familiar, you could get a pair of Titans and a CC-170 center. Shop around and demo some brands. Also consider buying used. My Studio 20's (fronts) and Titans (ears) I bought used, six months old. They arrived in flawless condition and were already broken in. I paid about 60% of MSRP for them.

If you must get 5 speakers at that price, I think that JBL makes some decent packages. Others here are more familar with JBL than me.

Edit: just noticed the poster above mentioned JBL. Also, the other poster mentioned HTD. You might look at their Level 2 setup. I hear nothing but good things about their stuff.

8. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

$400 is great for a starter set up. NSP1 with a JBL PSW-D110 cost me that. Kicks arse! If you can find a used sub you might be able to get an even larger sub. Got at Paradigm PS1200 for about $260 US.

9. Jim Carr

Hey Eric, guys.. thanks for the help. This is actually for a buddy of mine.. I am the one that got an 898 (my god I love it!) and I have NHT super zeroes for my surrounds, and SC-1 for my center with an SVS.

This is for my buddy.. he really doesn't have alot of cash.. I can get him the entire POLK RM6200 for about 375 w/ PW 250 sub from another buddy of mine who is a dealer.

I was just wondering for 400 can I do better than that for him?

thanks guys!

Jim

10. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker