1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I have a Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erin, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Erin

Erin Auditioning

Ok, i work in a video store and with the increase in the purchasing of DVD players this Xmas, I have noticed that a few people lately have been phoning and saying the DVD they have rented is not working on their DVD player. Stuff is coming up saying "This disc cannot be played", or the disc just wont play, or things to that effect. There must be some players that are obviously lower end brands that won't play some dvd's.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Or does anyone have any place I can find these things out.

2. Erin

Erin Auditioning

Ok, sorry but I have another ponder.

Why do people buy DVD players and then complain about almost all the DVD's are widescreen?

They will come in and then see that the DVD they want is widescreen and decide to rent the VHS copy.

I think that before going into purchasing a new piece of hardware people should at least get some information on the product.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

It is one of the downfalls of dvd that some discs either play with problems, or won't play at all on some players. A lot of this is due to poor adherence to the dvd specifications. Some players are much worse than others - Toshibas, it seems, are particular bad (at least that's what it seems to me). The two Sonys I've owned rarely have glitches (I haven't come across one in months). But no brand or model is totally immune and it's not necessarily the cheapos that are the culprits. Since you see things from a rental point of view, some problems are caused by mishandled, scratched or smudged discs. People don't care how they handle rental stuff (as you well know) and dvds are a lot more sensitive than any other medium.

As to your second question - it's a can of worms - you would think that people would do their research before purchasing but they don't. It has always been, and will continue to be, this way. You could write a very long paper on the subject.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Alan, I agree that I hear the MOST complaints about Toshiba DVD players than anything else. I hear probs from time-to-time about Apex, but nothing like Toshiba. I almost NEVER hear complaints about Panasonic, which is great because it's long been my consumer electronics brand of choice! [​IMG]
    I also hear that Toshiba is very willing to work with their customers solve problems, which is good for them (and my experience where I work; we are one of their repair depots for laptop computers). So I am not saying to NOT buy Toshiba; it is just that it might be a love/hate relationship.
    OTOH, the reason a rental store might get many complaints about discs that won't work is surely the condition of the discs. Dirty and scratched up; I NEVER rent anymore!! Not for two years now.
    As far as the second question, it's a matter of "keeping up with the Jones-es". Everyone's buying them because it's what everyone else has and the only way to get certain video titles. They don't have a clue what they're getting into. Actually, that's both good and bad for us OAR advocates. It means we have to put up with this "Give me Full Screen" cries and crap, but it also means that maybe they just won't have a choice but to accept OAR. It just depends on how the studios handle the pressure.
    The studios ought to just realize that they can put out EVERY film in OAR right now and ignore the complaints from the black bar haters...it's not like they can get the P&S scan version from somewhere else! If they like the film, they'll buy it. With or without black bars. Pandering to them is A) delaying the inevitable, and B) swelling your inventory, which decreases your cash-to-cash flow. It's bad bookkeeping, in the end. [​IMG]

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I don't think anyone here can, so maybe you should ask them. I am still wondering what they are thinking, though, along with the persons that brought them a hundred dollar paperweight.

Maybe they have lucked-out and haven't tried out any disks that might not work. Maybe they quickly gave it up when they discovered that the players didn't have an 'F' connector on the back.

Can you ask your boss if you can put a survey together and pass them out?

Glenn