What's new

I have a question (1 Viewer)

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Directv receiver that I want to use to watch tv in two rooms. I have done this before; I split the signal, then, depending which room I was watching tv in, use one of those wireless extenders (the name escapes me). In my new house I planned on doing the same. The problem is that I can only get satellite tv on the tv that is connected directly to the satellite receiver. The other tv shows no signal. I am using a high quality Acoustic Research splitter. Does anyone know what I am missing? Thanks in advance.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What receiver? Some HD receivers will turn off all but their HDMI or component outputs when viewing HD. Assuming it's an SD receiver, how are you sending video/audio to the other TV? RF, composite video or s-video? Have you checked your cables to the other room? You say you are using a spliter. Have you connected both outputs of the splitter to the TV that you know is working? Is the other TV even working? Can you haul it into the other room so you can see them side by side?

Basically, you have given us very few details to work with so I only guessed at your problem. You will have to do basic troubleshooting and test each item that is in both signal chains.

-Robert

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I have an older 422 receiver (SD). I am connecting it to my HDTV via S-video and the tv in the other room is connected by RG6 cable. I tried the receiver on the tv's in both rooms and they are both working. But the problem is that I am not getting a picture on the tv that is not connected directly to the receiver. I checked the tv's setup and that seems to be working. Still very puzzling...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sounds like you may have a bad cable. Connect your VCR to it and send the output to the other TV to test the cable. It may not be the actual cable though. Most of thet time it's a bad F-connector. Cut the old one off and put a new one on. Takes 2 minutes.

-Robert

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I figured it out. My problem is that I split the signal before it went to the receiver. I connected the cable from the dish directly to the receiver and ran a cable from the OUT to TV to the tv in the other room. Voila! I now have a picture on both tv's. Thanks for all the replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks