I have a question and DD and DTS and DPL...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Jan 1, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

When I am watching a movie in DD or DTS it automatically puts my sub on a delay, which varies depending what source is being played...is this normal? SHould I leave it at what it says or change it.

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Abel: I think we need a bit more info. What brand of surround processor are you using? What amount of delay are you seeing? How did you find this situation??

3. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Ok, say I am watching Deep Blue Sea, with my Yamaha RX-V520 reicever, now when I play movies, I like a little more punch in my sub, so I turn up the output lvl, so as I was breesing through the settings to get to output lvl, I say that I had a delay of 5.

I was like whoa, this can't be right, so I paused the movie, which then sent the signal the reciver that it was DPL and the delay jumped to 20.

Why is it doing this? Anyone know?

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Because a lot of processors automatically add 15ms to the rear channel delay for Pro-Logic, so if you have the delay set to 5, pro-logic will be at 20. This shouldn't be a delay for your sub, but the rear channels.

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Abel: Jeremy is 100% correct. You're seeing the surround speaker's delay, not the sub.

6. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Yeah but see, I have the delay for whatever it is (it says in the manuel pointing at the sub, but hey you guys know more [​IMG] )at 0, then when I calibrate it automatically adds whatever...for DD or DTS...not just DPL.

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

You should have two delay adjustments on that receiver. One is the CENTER DELAY. From your listening position, measure the distance from your head to the left main speaker. Then measure to the center speaker. For every foot that the center speaker is closer to you, use 1ms of delay for the center. This will set your receiver so that sound arrives simultaneously from the front three speakers.
    The other adjustment you have is specific to which mode you're in. On page 37 of your owner's manual (available online at http://www.yamaha.com/menuitems/manuals/yec/RX-V520.pdf), it shows the defaults for each listening mode. Dolby Digital and DTS default to 5ms, and Pro-Logic defaults to 20ms. Page 38 shows you how to adjust the delay for each individual mode. To set this delay, you do the same as you did with the center speaker... Measure from listening position to the left main, and then measure to the left surround. For every foot the surround is closer to you, use 1ms delay. So if your surround is 3 feet closer, you set delay for DD and DTS to 3ms so that sound will arrive from all speakers simultaneously. Then, you add 15 to that number, and that tells you what you should set your delay for Pro-Logic to.