I have a question about royalties

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CraigEG, Dec 30, 2002.

1. CraigEG

CraigEG Agent

I am curious if the artists recieve royalties for many of the discount dvd purchase places out there. I.E. the many discount websites out there like deepdiscount or columbia house. I am also curious about places like blockbuster that resell used copies. Those arent the only places i know, but in general when do/ don't artists recieve roayalties for their discs being sold (other than obvious things like ebay). also i am somwhat curious about wheter royalies of any sort are recived on a per movie rented type of basis from the major vido rental chains. I am just curious because i am beggining to beef up my collection and for some titles (especially independent or small budget type films, it would be nice to make sure the artist is going to get something for my purchase if im going to be spending money.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Columbia House and DeepDiscount DVD are 2 ENTIRELY different things

DDD pays the distributor just like any other retailer, while ColumbiaHouse, at least with CDs buy discounted overstock that I believe no royalties are paid on.

Since rentals are done on a revenue sharing basis, they get a chunk of that pie, but not a per copy like they do with sale copies. They do not get a chunk of used copies, but they have been paid as a result of those copies.

So basically, Columbia House bad, pretty much anything else good, and I commend you for your concern on this issue

3. Mark Zielinski

Mark Zielinski Auditioning

Edit: My message redundant. Jeff beat me by 2 minutes 8)

But yes, I also do appreciate the fact you care about artist royalties,

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I would've thought that even with discounted overstock, the royalties would have been paid at least with the first sale? even if at a lower rate (since the price is lower).

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I thought Columbia House also offered current albums, not just distributor overstocks. Certainly that's the way they worked with movies on VHS and LD.
    I know that in the book business the royalties are based on the cover price for the number of units sold - regardless of sale price. Even a book stolen off a bookstore shelf counts exactly the same for author's royalties as one sold at full price. (Hence the title of Abbie Hoffman's tome, "Steal This Book". Abbie knew that the publisher would take the loss, not him. [​IMG])
    Regards,
    Joe

6. David Parker

David Parker Auditioning

Okay, about the Columbia House side for music. I work for EMI Music that manufactures CD's and tapes and I don't think they buy the overstock. We make music specificaly for them. The reason I say this is because we get in graphics(cd inserts) just for them only and BMG also. If you check the bar code on the inlay for Columbia House and BMG they will be different than a store boughten one. Probably so you can't make a return or exchange on it. I'm also thinking that a title goes to the discount clubs at least four or five months after its initial release. I'm pretty sure I'm correct on this.

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    New titles aren't available as enrollment selections at Columbia House DVD for six months. I am pretty sure that during this time, full royalties are payed. After that, there are generally no royalties on DVDs from Columbia House.

8. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

For the music side of Columbia House they license master recording from the labels and manufacture their own CDs. They did that for VHS as well. In the LD days and with DVD (for now) they buy them like any other re-seller does from the studios. Royalties are determined by how many units are sold to the stores/retailers not how many go to the end user (customers).

--iAN