What's new

i have a pet peeve about calling the USA, AMERICA. (1 Viewer)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
We're called Americans because it's easier than calling us "The United States of Amerirca-ians."

Get your panties untwisted.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I like USians (YOU-SEE-UNS is how I pronounce it) myself.

I'm Canadian. I would never call myself American because of the implied negative connotations associated with that term, ESPECIALLY when I'm travelling to other countries.

It is very amusing that these "African-Americans" do not object to "Negro" in "The Negro College Fund" or "Colored" in "The National Association of Colored People." I thought these terms were deemed offensive?

Not everyone in Africa is black, as not everyone in Europe is white.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I'm of the opinion that the founding fathers should've named the country after Washington, but that's just me. *shrug*

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah, if we gotta keep bringing up this "USAnian" stuff, can we start calling western Europeans "Unionians"? ;)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Why?
I can't think of a single democracy (or any country for that matter) named after a leader of that country. The Declaration of Independence (first use of the name, "The United States of America") was drafted in 1776, the Constitution (defining how our government is organized) in 1787 (became binding in 1788), and Washington did not take office until 1789.

Have you ever heard of Bolivia, named after Simón Bolívar (1783-1830)? What about Saudi Arabia named after the Saud family?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I did some searching and found these:

Bolivia - Simón Bolívar (thus named to placate him)
China - after the Qin Dynasty (probably how the English name came to be; local name = Zhonghua Renmin Gongheguo)
Colombia - Christopher Columbus (not a political ruler)
El Salvador - Jesus Christ (not a political ruler)
United States of America - from Amerigo Vespucci (not a political ruler)
Saudi Arabia - Abdul-Aziz ibn Saud (was a British colony at the time)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I thought these terms were deemed offensive? Not everyone in Africa is black, as not everyone in Europe is white.
Must .... resist .... temptation .... to .... hijack .... thread .... on .... absolute .... stupidity ... of .... "-American" .... label ....

Resist ....

Must .... resist ....

** whew **

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
quote:

It is very amusing that these "African-Americans" do not object to "Negro" in "The Negro College Fund" or "Colored" in "The National Association of Colored People." I thought these terms were deemed offensive?

Not everyone in Africa is black, as not everyone in Europe is white.
keep ths out of the discussion please it has nothing to do with anything i intended in this thread.
and will get it closed.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
rather than the Asian model where only a portion of the continent receives the continental name.
What's stranger is a different part gets the name depending on your own point of view. As I understand it, Americans (North Americans?) associate "Asian" with the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese etc, previously referred to as "Orientals" but that appears to now be a non-PC term, whereas the Brits tend to use "Asian" to mean those from the Indian sub-continent (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans).

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I'm Canadian. I would never call myself American because of the implied negative connotations associated with that term, ESPECIALLY when I'm travelling to other countries.
Better yet, remember not to take any of those filthy United Statesian dollars and insult the peoples of the country you visit. Take Canadian dollars. You will pull out a bigger wad and make the foreigners think you are richer than those Americans.

Actually I probably have to recuse myself from any smack coments. My daughter was in Amsterdam almost two years ago and there was a demonstration outside our embasy with flag burning etc. Someone asked her and her girlfriend where they were from and she said Canada.

When I was stationed in southern Italy 30 years ago with the Air Force we would go down where the ferry boats docked in the afternoon and offer the college age tourist girls a ride up to the train station. Since the train didn't leave for about 7 hours we invited them to our small apartment overlooking the Adriatic Sea, and then get them back to the train in time - well some left that same night :D . The girls - sorry Rain, we were rather discriminatory in that regard - would have their country flag sewn on their back pack. I would think today that is not done anymore. At least the stars and stripes is absent. Rather sad.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Better yet, remember not to take any of those filthy United Statesian dollars and insult the peoples of the country you visit. Take Canadian dollars.
Actually, Canadian currencies have the Queen of England on them. Since England is a staunch ally of the U.S., I guess anything associated with England will have a negative connotation as well. Oh, my, this could have severe domino effects on the perception of the citizenry of many countries throughout the world. The U.S. and the Commonwealth ... bad, naughty, vile, evil people. Tsk tsk.

I still don't see the problem with calling citizens of the U.S. "Americans". The term "United Statesians" just doesn't have any panache or flair. :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yup. Can't have a thread about the U.S. without some insult towards the U.S., no matter how slight.
My comment was really from a practical POV, not intended as an insult. No offense intended, bad wording on my part! With all the crazy stuff going on nowadays, it's better to be invisible when traveling, as much as possible. Although, I guess it would be safe to follow that policy no matter how things are.

I wouldn't bother wearing Canadian flag pins or badges on anything I wear or carry with me either. Well, except maybe at some sporting event, but digress. You never know who you'll bump into that may have a problem! Or worse: The natives tell you about how great your country must be! "But I just live there! It's nothing special! No really. We're not all happy-go-lucky people that loves everyone! Sure we have plumbing and running water and stuff, but that's not everything you know! We call each other names, cut each other off in traffic, that sort of thing. If Canada was so great, why do you think I'm visiting you?" :D

Although I suppose it's best to just nod and smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks