I have a "HUM" of a problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin. W, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Well I just hooked up my new Rotel RMB-1095, replacing my Rotel RMB-1066. Now I have a "HUM" coming from my speakers. The only difference to my system is that the 1095 has a 3prong power cord and the 1066 was 2prong. I'm going to start trouble shooting the setup this evening, by disconnecting everything then adding it back one connection at a time. Anyone have any ideas why going from a 2 to 3 prong connection to an amp would cause the problem to show up. Before my setup was as quite as a mouse.

Kevin

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

ground loop maybe due to the cable...try disconnecting it from your system and see if it goes away.

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Well, you can't tell if the hum is gone when the amp is unplugged Chu. I mean of course it would be gone, as there would be no power. However, you need to have it plugged in to use it... I digress.

What I have seen others say to do is use a 'cheater' plug which will make the 3 prong 2, thus eliminating the extra ground.

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I've figured out the problem is due in part to the cables(AR Master series) hooking my Marantz pre/pro output to the amps inputs. If I disconnect them one at a time the noise gets louder, and at one point I began to get radio signals coming through. Once all the cables are disconnected the hum/buzz is to a point where your ear has to be right against the speaker to hear. Unfortunately I can't get a hold of a cheater plug to test with everything plugged in. Would using my 2 prong powercord from my other amp be the same as using a cheater plug?

Kevin

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i should've been more clear. if your cable for the TV is connected to your system, disconnect it and see if the hum persists.

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Kevin,
    I seem to be having almost the same problem as you with my Parasound amp. I unhooked all wires except the speaker wire going into my 5th channel on my amp. The hum noise is still there unless I unplug the +/- wire then it goes away. Anyone have any ideas for me. I am using a cheater plug also. I have no cables going into my reciever and my receiver is actually off at this point. The only thing that is turned on is the AMP and I still get a hum/hiss noise.

7. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I have a RMB-1095, and it's humming like crazy. The only way to solve the problem is to use a cheater plug for me. I've tried everything, and I mean everything, and only the cheater plug is working.

2 weeks ago, I just add a Bryston 4BSST to my system, and guess what... pure silence for the front. So I think the RMB-1095 is having a problem in the grounding department. Even the Rotel tech told me the grounding scheme was probably different in the Bryston, explaining the absence of a hum.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Levesque, how long have you been running the cheater plug? Ever have a shock off your amp when you touched it? DOn't want to fry my son when he's using the setup.

Kevin

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Levesque, I think Bryston amps usually have a switch to lift the ground connection if necessary. Basically the same as using a cheater, but probably safer. You may have the ground lifted.

10. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I use a 12V trigger to switch the Rotel on and off, so I've never touched the Rotel since it's in the rack. So how can I get a shock if I never touch it?

I know it's really dangerous...but after paying 2 electricians and losing a lot of my precious time, I can't live with a hum that I can hear from 10 feet... so I use the cheater plug...

11. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

M.D.

12. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I was able to get a hold of a cheater plug and it did nothing for the hum/buzz coming form the speaker. It looks like I'll need to run a seperate line for the amp, since the noise goes away completely when I remove everything plugged into the powerbar(AR-10s), except the amp.

Kevin

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well before you do that, temporarily try running an extension cord to another outlet on a different line. might give you a handle on if a separate line's gonna do the trick.

14. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Chu,
    I tried that for my problem and that didn't change a thing. The cheater plug got rid of the hum coming from the TV but I still have a buzz coming from the speakers. The only thing is I move in a month so I will wait until then to look into it more....