I have a dilema

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Todd_Brown, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Hello all,
    My current display device is a 35" Sony Trinitron RPTV. It is a 4:3 monitor. I've been very happy with it as a T.V., but I feel the definite need for 16:9 viewing. My distance to the monitor is 9', in a room that is approx 17 1/2" by 13'. My question, should I get a good 16:9 RPTV, secondary question of what would be the max size, or go for front projection? I primarily watch DVDs, only occasional T.V.
    My movie tastes run the range from classics to modern popcorn flicks, so I can see any aspect ratio an a given evening.
    Todd

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    In a room that size, you could accomodate a 65" RPTV setup of you wished. Also, you have the depth to go with a 100" FPTV as well. BTW, front projection is a great way to see your movies. Definitely more cinematic looking.

3. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

If I was in a position of needing a new display, a plasma would be my first choice.

Good luck,
    John Flegert

4. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

I agree with Neil about the front projector! I say keep your current TV for "TV shows" and get something like the Sonyo PLV-Z1 for movies with a pulldown 16x9 screen! You'll have a picture as big as a giant RPTV, but without the big 'o box! You WON'T regret it [​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That 35-inch Sony, btw, is a direct-view display.

6. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

7. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

8. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

Yes, this projector can show anything! The Z1 has composite video, S-video, component video and VGA (PC) video inputs. If you "primarily watch DVD's", get a 16x9 projector like the Z1. It can display full anamorphic widescreen 16x9 (using the full resolution of the chip!), 4x3(unstretched and not chopped-up) or it will zoom either. You wouldn't want to use the projector for day-to-day viewing of such things as QVC or the news [​IMG]. The bulbs must be replaced every couple of years since they dim and eventually blow. Replacement bulbs are around $300/on average. Use the projector only for movies and sports and save the daily wear of "TV shows" for your direct-view TV.

9. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

10. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Todd, projector bulbs wear out with the usage which is 2,000-3,000 hours on average. The biggest two budget projectors are the Infocus X1 and the Sanyo PLV-Z1.

The InFocus X1 is a DLP projector with a 4:3 AR and a resolution of 600x800 or SVGA. The projector can output 1100 ANSI lumens and has a contrast ratio of 2000:1. The X1's bulb life is listed at 3,000 hours at $300. The X1 has a price of $1,000 retail.

The Sanyo PLV-Z1 is a LCD projector with a 16:9 AR and a resolution of 544x964. The projector can output 700 ANSI lumens and has a contrast ratio of 800:1. Sanyo gives no estimate for bulb life but the most quoted number is around 2,000 hours at $300. The Z1 has a price of around $1,500.

The better overall projector is the X1 from what I've read but only if you don't see rainbows. The color wheel in the X1 is 2X while the $8,000 and up DLP's have color wheel's of 5X and above. Also you can use either front projector for regular TV viewing since the bulb cost is on average 10-15 cents an hour.

11. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

I'm going tomorrow and make the purchase! I've decided Front Projection is the way to go, and I appreciate the advice. I may be hitting my wallet hard, cause I'm also looking for Home Theater Seats at the same spot.
    Todd

12. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

May be a little late but either front projector can accept a widescreen signal at 480x720 and scale it to either 450x800 for the X1 or 544x964 for the Z1.

13. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

I went with a Runco 710. I'll let you know more after I get it installed.
    Todd