I have a bad habit (or disorder) at the gas pump that needs to stop...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin Alexander, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

With gas prices at record highs, now is the worst time to waste money, and that's exactly what I do everytime I fill up. When I pump gas, I've gotten into the habit of rounding off my gas purchase to an even amount. Meaning, if I want to put $20 in gas in my truck and the price gague stops at $20.02, for some reason, I feel compelled to keep pumping until I reach and stop at exactly $21.00 - not 1 cent more or less. And if I screw up and go $21.01, again, I feel compelled to keep pumping until I reach $22.00. Usually I get it right in no more than 2 tries. Is there a name for this disorder besides wasteful? Be nice now [​IMG]...

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

So, am I to understand you'll pump the gas onto the ground, if needed?

4. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

[​IMG] @ OCD

Next time at the pump put in $17.46 and it will take care of the problem.

5. Kevin Alexander

My truck fills up w/ $35-$40 worth of gas. If I'm not filling up, I will just round it off to the nearest dollar.

6. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

It may be annoying, but its not really wasteful, is it. It goes in the tank with the rest, and will remain there till you use it.

And if gas prices go up tomorow, you will have saved money by putting in extra today!

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    so, how is that wasteful?

8. Todd Hochard

No big deal, then. I use a credit card to fill up, and I always fill up when I stop. I stop when the pump stops.
    Unless you're short on $$ (or going to drag race), I've never understood why people don't fill up when they stop for gas. Do you really like stopping for gas more than you would otherwise need to?

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well, gas is more expensive around work than in my neighborhood. Sometimes I put in a few bucks at work when I am on fumes, and fill up close to home. The difference is like $2 for a full tank but what the hey.

--
    H

10. Kevin Alexander

Maybe "wasteful" was the wrong choice of words, but it can be dangerous to keep putting gas in a tank that is already full. As I'm puttin in more gas I just think to myself how silly I must look, but when I get my gas card statement in the mail, I feel better when I see numbers rounded off to the nearest dollar instead of numbers w/ additional cents.

11. Kevin Alexander

In addition to what Holadem said, there's also the time issue. When running late for something, or standing out in the cold or rain, I do not wait for my tank to fill up.

12. WillG

WillG Producer

Seriously, buying gas now is like playing the stock market. My maxim on filling my tank is "It isn't filled until it's spilled"

13. Todd Hochard

Spilling a cup of gas releases more hydrocarbons than burning the entire tank in some of the newer ULEV/SULEV and PZEV cars out today. Kinda defeats the purpose.

14. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I'm seeing Adrian Monk at the pumps [​IMG]

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

This (rather than the specific behavior at the gas pump) is what would raise a red flag in my mind. Except for scanning the things to look for any suspicious charges, I don't even look that closely at my credit card statements - much less notice what is in the cents column. For you to have such a strong emotion regarding the "rightness" or even numbers on your bill - to the point where you feel you have to ensure them at the pump - is unusual, to say the least. For you to be distrubed by non-rounded numbers also suggests that something is going on that you might want to talk over with somebody.

I'm curious about something: Does it have to be an exactly even dollar amount? Or are other "neat" amounts (.50, .25, .75) acceptable? Do you think it might be acceptable if you tried stopping on those numbers (which might be easier than hitting the next .00?)

BTW, when time isn't a huge constraint, you might consider paying at the register, rather than at the pump. If you buy $20 or $35 before you start pumping, the pump will obviously stop when it hits that amount.

Regards,

Joe

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Only if the "purpose" of gassing up your car is to avoid releasing hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. If the purpose is to drive your car, it makes precisely no difference. [​IMG] (And who has ever spilled a freakin' cup of fuel even when topping off a tank? [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I fill it up each time so I can monitor my gas mileage.

18. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    do you do this to get an "even" number on your bank statement, or just to see a nice round number? i'd hate to see it if you had to pump until you got to an even number on the gas gauge, like 20.000 gallons.

CJ

19. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I always fill up. The only reason to round the purchase to a dollar figure is to avoid having to carry around extra change.

20. Todd Hochard

I know- showing ANY concern for our environment these days is SO passe.[​IMG]