I have a ? about calibrating my rear speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric T, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

I've been using a RadioShack SPL meter (C, slow) to calibrate my speakers/amp. The question I have is, should I aim the meter at my rear speakers while doing this?

Normally I calibrate by holding the meter in front of my face and pointing up. For the fronts, there is really no difference between doing that and pointing directly at the speakers.

For the rears, there IS a difference of several dB. Most noticable is my rear-center. I have it on the floor about 4 feet behind the couch angled up at the back of my head. I know this probably isn't the best position, but I don't anything to put it on back there yet, so it's the best I can do for now. Anyway, there is probably 6dB difference or so in the level, depending on whether I point it at the speaker or hold it in front of me pointing up.

How should I calibrate it?

2. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi Eric,

I usually calibrate with the meter at my listening position tilted about 50-60 degrees up and just leave it there for all my speakers.(I dont have any speakers that are blocked in my listening position though). Then I tweak it a little by ear, turn up the rears 1-2 db. So I'm probably just making up for that little difference of not pointing at the speaker. The manual says to point the meter at the source. Good Luck.

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Jason is basically following Video Essentials and Dolby Labs recommendation . . . from Dolby Labs: 5.1-Channel Production Guidelines PDF document

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

5. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Thanks for the responses. I'll try it again according to the Dolby procedure.